Why am I getting a black image when exporting a frame?

manjoyka
manjoyka Website User Posts: 46 Just Starting Out*
edited June 5 in HitFilm

Hi, I got used to exporting frames in order to edit them in Paint.net and Canva and use as thumbnails. It used to work well. Over the past 2 weeks, exporting a frame resulted in getting a completely black image. What can I do to fix it? I am using the most recent version of HitFilm Express. Thanks!

Best Answer

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,338 Ambassador
    Accepted Answer

Glad to hear you got it working again. The only I can think of is that Win 10 can be fussy about applications writing to a subfolder in C:\Users. I have run into that before but I usually create a project folder under C:\Images or C:\Jobs to work in which bypasses that issue.

Answers

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,338 Ambassador

@manjoyka I assume you have selected an output folder when you go to Export Frame. Do you not see the image in that folder? Or are you saying that the auto-imported image back to the timeline (assuming you have toggeled that option on) is black?

What options do you have selected in the Export Frame panel? For example, this is what I have.

• manjoyka

Hi, @Stargazer54 , thank you! I repeated the entire process to answer your questions and - no problem this time (a good exported image). Glad it is working and - no idea why it did not before. It used to work fine, then over the past two weeks, the exported file was just black - not on the timeline, but in Paint.net as well as in ImageResize online. These are and have been my settings.

• manjoyka

Hi, @Stargazer54 , thank you for your insight and the tip about creating a folder such as  C:\Images . I will try that!

• nivasbose
    nivasbose Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out*

I am still having the issue you @manjoyka@Stargazer54 are describing. Very rarely I am able to export the frame I want. Otherwise, in most cases it is just a black image.

My project is set at 24fps but the video is shot at 23.976. Not sure if that is the problem. I even tried changing the video fps to match the project's fps setting, but even that didn't work. One thing I know is that if I change the speed of my video, I could most certainly expect a black image output. The couple of times I was able to export the frame I want, I had to reset the video's speed to its original and try exporting at different points in the timeline. I have also tried your @Stargazer54 suggestion, but it didn't work.

Didn't have this issue with the previous version of Hitfilm. Just updated to the latest version yesterday, and have been having this problem since.

Is anyone else having this problem. Could anyone help me out?

• manjoyka

Hi, @nivasbose , thank you! I wonder if your reply will get noticed by many people, since I have previously marked my question as answered. If it doesn't, perhaps start a new discussion. I do hope we can find help with this issue.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,064 Moderator

@manjoyka @nivasbose I have never experienced the issue you both are having and apparently from lack of suggestions not many have, so I think it may a good idea to submit a formal support ticket with official tech support using this link:

I'm sure one of the devs should be able to help you out. They have many more tricks, tips and knowledge of the program than us users here on the forums. 😁 Hope you do get the issue resolved.

• manjoyka
    edited June 11

Hi, @tddavis , thank you, I have submitted a support ticket. Thank you for the link!

• nivasbose

Hi @tddavis, thanks for the suggestion. Hi @manjoyka, thanks for submitting the ticket. Once you hear from the support team, could you please post their response here. I don't want to create an addition ticket for this issue, since you have already created one. Thanks.

• manjoyka
    edited June 15

Hi, @nivasbose , I thought I had better let you know that my laptop stopped working. It might be two weeks before I am able to answer Support and re-submit a project video to them that did not come through the first time around. So maybe you might want to submit your own support ticket. Also, they might (?) think that the problem is because of my weak laptop (it is well below the minimum specifications for HitFilm) so that might be another reason to contact them about the problem, if it is happening to you on hopefully a better machine. Just a side note, after exporting a frame worked again, it stopped working once more for me. All the best to you!

• nivasbose

Hi @manjoyka , thanks for letting me know. I have created a ticket. I will post a comment here once the issue is resolved. Hope you are able to get you laptop back up and running soon.