How to use the Set Matte effect on green screen footage without removing the background.

Meleter
Meleter Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*
edited June 4 in HitFilm

I am currently trying to make it so that, in the green screen footage that I am using, the green screen is gone while the main object is a plain colour. Currently, if I use the 'Set Matte' option that's a part of the colour difference key effect, it will cause the green screen to turn black and the main object to go white, but also cover everything underneath. I would like to have my green screen be replaced by a background and the main object be a different colour. How would I do that?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• JavertValbarr
    JavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 336 Staff
    Accepted Answer

If I'm understanding correctly what you're wanting to do, key out your footage, turn View Matte off, then add a Fill Color effect below the Color Difference Key.

• Meleter
    Meleter Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*
    Accepted Answer
    > @JavertValbarr said:
    > If I'm understanding correctly what you're wanting to do, key out your footage, turn View Matte off, then add a Fill Color effect below the Color Difference Key.

Thank you for all the responses. This one is exactly what I need. Thank you!

Answers

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,091 Ambassador

I think you need to either precomp green screen, or put a grade layer between your green screen key and your set matte layer.

Precomp = a separate composite shot just to do they key then layered in the master composite shot to use the desired effect. This way Hitfilm will test the green screen comp as finialised and the set matte should work as expected.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,581 Ambassador
    edited June 4

There is no "Set Matte" option in the Color Difference key. There is a "View Matte" option.

This option specifically shows white for the areas that are left and black for the areas that should be transparent. In other words it's showing you exactly what the key is filtering.

In short you are seeing a white on black image because that's what you told Hitfilm to display. Turn View Matte off.

@Andy001z

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,581 Ambassador

@JavertValbarr, oops, missed the part about changing color. I think I jumped into my response once I realized View Matte was on.

Good catch. 👍