Hitfilm Pro now crashing whole laptop suddenly and consistently...

TryingHitFilmNow
TryingHitFilmNow Website User Posts: 82 Just Starting Out*

I've been using Hitfilm Pro for over a year and it's been awesome. My laptop is a beast: I've listened to hours long youtube videos in the background while SIMULTANEOUSLY (albeit slowly) multitasking with video editing in Hitfilm Pro. I've never had any computer problems that I can think of until now. Now my laptop crashes and restarts all of a sudden in the middle of playing a simple Composite Shot. I don't eve hear the fan working hard or anything.

The first red flag was that I saw a yellow icon that there wasn't enough memory to prerender a clip even though I had plenty of memory. So I went through my system and deleted/uninstalled things that I didn't think I needed maybe like Quicktime to really pump up the available memory. Since it's been so long since I've had Hitfilm I can't recall any issues when first starting to use Hitfilm but maybe I had to download some kind of version of Quicktime to use certain clips even though I use Windows.. Is that possible? Still, it never crashed my whole laptop and nothing else does either.

I've even restored my laptop to factory settings and the sudden crashing problem persists when I play back a Composite Shot... Please help figure out what the heck is going on all of a sudden.

Tagged:

Comments

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,013 Staff

@TryingHitFilmNow is it a specific comp it always crashes with? if so, can you narrow down the items inside of it until it no longer crashes? Eliminating as much as possible will help as get you back on track!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,970 Ambassador

Knowing your system specs - CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and Storage - would be helpful.

By doing a factory reset you've removed current drivers. You should run critical OS updates and check your GPU drivers. You cannot trust Windows on drivers and you need to check the Intel, Nvidia or AMD websites for GPU drivers.

@TheBenNorris SAN check please - does Hitfilm still require QuickTime for MOV container support or do you have your own decoder?

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,013 Staff

@Triem23 I believe we still require Quicktime on Windows for certain files.

• TryingHitFilmNow
    edited June 5

Thank you for the replies. I haven't been able to test Hitfilm again yet however I noticed an issue which may be the culprit! The battery on my XPS15 claims it is close to full capacity (97%) but when I take the power cord out, the laptop immediately dies. There's a power issue. My theory is that Hitfilm drains the tentative/tiny bit of power from a malfunctioning system which causes the laptop to restart or in some cases shut down completely. I'll have to look into this further.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,970 Ambassador

@TryingHitFilmNow how old is the machine? If more than 3 years the battery might have hit end of life and need replacement. Never leave a fully charged laptop plugged in when off - that shortens battery life by a lot.

• TryingHitFilmNow

It's XPS 15 9560 I've had it about 3 years. That's exactly what I did... always kept it plugged in. Thanks for the advice!