Hitfilm Pro on Linux?

VFXwarrior
VFXwarrior Website User Posts: 6 Just Starting Out*
edited May 30 in General

I recently have been looking into using linux instead of windows 10 so that I can get better performance while playing vr since newer vr titles will have some random framedrops on my device due to background windows tasks, however I've noticed that Hitfilm Pro doesn't have linux support so switching to linux really isn't an option. Is there a way I can get it on linux, or if it will be possible to do so in the near future?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,826 Ambassador
    edited May 31

Disclaimer: Ambassadors and Moderators are volunteers, not FXhome employees. Data comes from public sources.

The last semi-official word on the subject was given by FXhome CEO Josh Davies back in Jan 2020.

Long story short, Linux is a small segment of the computer market - about 1%. A Linux version of Hitfilm would not be able to use the Windows/iOS cross platform tools behind the Hitfilm UI. The entire program would have to be re-coded from scratch. At this time FXhome does not consider a Linux version to be viable given the costs of development vs the small potential for revenue. While this may change in the future, I wouldn't expect it.

Ok, Hitfilm has about 6 million users. Linux is 1% of the OS market. We'll assume parity with other OS's for Hitfilm usage. That's 60,000 Linux users. I don't have exact numbers, but only about 1% of Hitfilm users use Pro (I know over 90% use Express and buy no add on packs). That's 600 Pro users. For a $300 software price that's $180,000 in income, but the Mac version of Hitfilm cost $100,000 in development 8 years ago. Factor in additional hardware and hiring additional programmers to code and maintain a Linux version, and there's just no money in it. It's the Pro users supplying the income to allow Express to be free.

Now, FXhome has been getting a lot of buzz lately due to CamtrackAR and other, newer products, but those products, bottom line, would need to add enough proportional income to FXhome to make a Linux version viable for one to happen. FXhome's goal is to make quality VFX software available for as many people as possible, but the company does need to make the money to maintain their facilities, hardware, mini studio and payroll.

Here's the Livestream in question. I'm not certain of the time code for the Linux discussion.

• krishd3
    krishd3 Website User Posts: 52 Enthusiast

What Triem23 has said, It's totally true.

For example:- think that you are owner of a fictional company "Jarrod Enterprises" and building the company costed you $200,000, then you made a video editor named JarVid and it costed you $50,000 So the total expense became $250,000 and $20,000 for your employs every month and the video editor JarVid has 2 version of it "JarVid Pro" and "JarVid free" with 70% of the features on the free version that is also available on pro and 90% of the users use the free version and only 10% of the users using the $300 paid version and you have and your total users are 10,000 then that means You earn $300,000 in the first month that you can use to pay all the loans you took to build the company and recover the money that you used to build you video editors then you are hardly left with $10,000, but on the next month you only earn $30,000 because most of the people already owned the software for lifetime and very less users buy your software who are new to your company and all others users just use the free version, So this makes your earning very less and if you then plan to build a new software then it will cost more and then you don't know people would like it or not and then if they do not like it then you could suffer from very large losses. So definitely you would not take any risk to build a new software and just stay happy with what you get and once the customers increase then you could try to build it but that only depends on time.

The same is with FXhome.

• VFXwarrior
    VFXwarrior Website User Posts: 6 Just Starting Out*

Okay, that makes sense. I wasn't aware that the Linux userbase was so small. Thanks for the explanation! (:

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,826 Ambassador

@VFXwarrior now, I'm only guessing here, but, since this thread was created, FXhome has been purchased by Artlist, and one of the changes coming from this merger is larger development teams for Hitfilm. It's POSSIBLE that the additional corporate support from Artlist might change the equation and make a Linux version viable in the next year or two. This would be great for the Linux crowd.

We'll see. 👍

• spyresca
    spyresca Website User Posts: 203 Enthusiast
    edited September 11

Whether or not artlist wants to port to linux, it's still a lot of money/time/effort for a likely very tiny linux pro user base. The math doesn't change.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,267 Moderator

@spyresca it’s a bit of a chicken and egg problem… the primary reason I’ve never switched to Linux is because HitFilm isn’t on there. But they can’t port HF to Linux unless they have users on Linux.

IMO, video editing/VFX is the last thing Linux still needs to conquer. I’m glad Resolve is on there now, hopefully other software like HitFilm can come too

• spyresca
    spyresca Website User Posts: 203 Enthusiast

Can't really agree @Triem23 . I just don't think having Hitfilm on linux would draw enough users/profit to ever make it a worth the developers time. Especially with strong pre-existing competition already there (i.e. Resolve). Can't see much upside for the developers at all for Hitfilm on Linux.

It doesn't help the for many (most?) users, switching to Linux offers very little in tangible day to day benefits. I like linux, try a few distros every year, and always end staying with Windows.

• Triem23

@spyresca shhh, I'm being "hopeful!" 👍