Slow stilted video in the trimmer

echenry
echenry Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*

When I import a short media clip into the trimmer and try to replay it it comes off silted. The audio sounds fine but the video isn't smooth. Where do I go to fix the video output display in Hitfilm Express so I get to see the video play normally.

The video setting are:

1280 X 720

14:13

15 FS

Mono

@32,000 Hz

I got took this video of my Logitech Webcamra.

Answers

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,992 Moderator

This is most likely due to the fact that most, if not all, screen captures end up being variable frame rate and need transcoding to constant. A media info report will confirm this. It is a free program available here:

Transcoding:

Hope you find these links helpful. If you generate a tree report in MediaInfo just copy and paste it back here if you aren't certain how to read it.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,793 Ambassador

Are you seeing different playback in the Viewer vs the Trimmer?

Your original footage is 15 fps. 24 fps is the standard for motion pictures, 25 or 30 for video with 60 being used more and more online.

Basically you're starting with stuttering footage as the video below demonstrates.

• echenry
    > @tddavis said:
    > This is most likely due to the fact that most, if not all, screen captures end up being variable frame rate and need transcoding to constant. A media info report will confirm this. It is a free program available here:
    > Transcoding:
    > Hope you find these links helpful. If you generate a tree report in MediaInfo just copy and paste it back here if you aren't certain how to read it.

I can't paste the snippet I took off MediaInfo, BUT I did download the program and run it. Here's what that resulted in:

File name: Video25.wmv
    Windows Media: 6.78 MiB, 7 s 982ms
    1 video stream: WMV2
    1 audio stream: WMA

First video stream:
    3 790kb/s, 1280*720 (16:9) WMV2

First audio stream:
    1 411kb/s, 32.0 kHz, 16 bits, 1 channel, WMA (Version 2)

@tddavis, I can read the output I'm just not savvy how to set HitFilm Express up to get the video to show properly. Thanks for the response. Need to know what to do next. Not as savvy on the terminology as you are. Thanks for putting up with newbies like me.

Sincerely,

E.C. Henry
  • echenry

No, I'm seeing recording playing normally outside Hitfilm express, then slower and incomplete when played back in the trimmer and viewer. Not sure what settings to adjust to fix this in Hitfilm express.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,793 Ambassador

You need to transcode your footage. If I'd realized from the start it was WMV I would have just suggested that.

In the video tddavis linked above titled "Troubleshooting/Optimizing Footage" go ahead and skip to about 23:40 and watch the section on Handbrake. This shows optimal settings for mp4 transcoding.

• tddavis

@echenry The info you got with MediaInfo is the short abbreviated. I didn't realize you couldn't see the full tree report without exporting it now. Here are some screenshots that I hope will explain better than I can:

• echenry

Thanks for all your help guys. I've got to go to the day job now. Trying to finish the download and Handbreak before I have to to work. You guys have been great. I'd buy you a beer if I were with you. Maybe someday down the road. Will try to use Handbreak after work on my video file and play with HitFilm some more after work. Again thanks the prompt responces.

• echenry

I followed the advice the best I could, downloaded Media arena, AND handbrake. Was able to tweak the setting so that my Logicam video footage played. Still need to edit the clip, BUT the video shows now. So thanks to everyone who helped me out. Progress!!

• Triem23
  • NikoDavid
    NikoDavid Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*

can it be the issues with the software? I'd try another program, something more simple. https://www.movavi.com/ is free to try

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,261 Ambassador
    edited July 25

@NikoDavid Thanks for the bot-like suggestion. Please respond that you are a real person to validate your post.

• NikoDavid
    edited July 27
  • tddavis
    edited July 27

@NikoDavid Just responding is all. It's a standard question to control bots when posts have a certain feel to them from new, unestablished users; bots almost never respond unless super intelligent.

• NikoDavid
  • Triem23

@NikoDavid bots generally don't respond back at all. Heh.

We do a pretty good job of keeping the forum bot-free, but we do that by being fairly aggressive about possible bots, then, as user Moderators feeding data back to the Staff member who does most of the web stuff.

In your particular case the post in this thread with the link was 1) a response to a question where the OP had already said the issue was solved, 2) linked to non FXhome commercial software and, 3) comes up in your history as your very first comment on the forum, which, more than 9 times of 10 is a combination that turns out to be a bot. I think @Stargazer54 didn't see that your initial join date reads as July, 2019... But, even then the occasional bot joins and waits for awhile before posting. When we see someone join at (for example) 12:22pm on July 31st 2021 and their first post is a paragraph long with a link at 12:22pm on July 31st 2021 we don't even ask for a response... Cuz that's 100% a bot.

Anyways, we're just trying to keep the forum bot free. You're obviously no bot, so carry on and Happy Hitfilming! πŸ‘πŸ˜Š