Screen suddenly blacking out

Hictor
Hictor Posts: 377 Enthusiast
edited May 21 in General

So I'm having trouble determining whether I have a failing GPU or a failing PSU.

What happens is that whether I'm gaming, editing or simply browsing the internet - say once a month, without warning the screen either freezes for a few seconds and then blacks out (while the mobo still running) or just blacks out.

A quick search on Reliability History has given me this error:

A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Code: 117

Parameter 1: ffffbc01b39a0010

Parameter 2: fffff80744f96f64

Parameter 3: 0

Parameter 4: 12e8

OS version: 10_0_19042

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Note that I'm always upto date with GPU drivers.

So it's really either a PSU or a GPU problem - and I have no idea what I can do to come up with a definitive answer.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• chanequebec
    chanequebec Posts: 9 Just Starting Out
    I had a similar problem with my (barebones) Asus laptop randomly restarting while using Hitfilm. I also used it for gaming and web browsing, so I decided to unearth my old Acer AO to use the internet there instead. It hasn't happened again, so it was probably a memory issue. Does your machine have a dedicated Graphics Chipset? Number of cores? RAM? Any additional specs can help.
    Or just contact your computer's customer service line.
  • Hictor
    edited May 30

These are my DXDIAG - Google Docs

I think I've managed something, but only time will tell.

I did run a Memory Diagnostic. No issues.

I also flushed out the drivers that came with Windows (and I mean, ERADICATED them) in safe mode, before reinstalling them.

I have also defaulted the fans to 100% speed, as the idle temps seemed to have defaulted to a 65 Degree Celsius, which definitely raised an eyebrow at my end. That simply shouldn't be happening.

The measure that I took which SEEMS to have produced results (again, only time will tell) is uninstalling "Star Wars: Fallen Order" Apparently, recent reports suggest that the recent updates are inhibiting hardware. The games goes for console experience.

Also, one more thing - I locked the refresh rate so that the GPU forces the monitor to stay at its limit. I noticed during my last black screen and there were a few moments of screen tearing.

It could be that the GPU is trying to work its G Sync feature with a monitor that doesn't work with G Sync (or Freesync for that matter)

• Hictor

I can confirm that last measure that I took has stabilized my 1080ti.

It seems evident that there's some kind of inconsistency between the monitor's limited refresh rate and the amount that the GPU is attempting.

In my case, I have a 4K monitor which caps at 60Hz. A tad unremarkable, but I don't require anymore then that for my uses.

This is the setting that solved everything. (Underlined)