VCP - Element 3D v2

3dmus
3dmus Website User Posts: 117

For the AE users out there. Videocopilot just revealed the details of the upcoming Element 3D V2 plugin. Some really cool stuff I have to say; shadows, reflection, subsurface scattering, auxilliary animation etc:

Comments

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast

Hmm FXhome, what do you have :).  Show and tell time.

• inScapeDigital
    inScapeDigital Website User Posts: 709 Just Starting Out*

It's crazy the stuff VC comes out with now, considering how small it started. Gives me something to strive towards. 

• 3dmus

Indeed. They're going from strength to strength. Did you watch Andrew Kramer's keynote speech? Quite inspirational. 

• inScapeDigital
    inScapeDigital Website User Posts: 709 Just Starting Out*

The keynote was fantastic. Really good motivation. 

• 3dmus

Yes, it is....Still, I can't get myself to buy into the subscription model. Anyways, I hope/expect that E3D V2 is compatible with CS5.5....

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2014

To be fair, you have to pay for those updates every single month with the subscription model (or lose access to your files). HF Plugins dont really have to be purchased since they are the same as what comes with HFU (with the exception of 2 or 3 new added effects). And HF tends to do a massive update every year around December (not to mention that they update and do bug fixes regularly during the year). I think the "value" of the subscription model is completely and totally dependent on the individual (or company) using the software. I personally think that there is a better value in HFU.

• MichaelJames

I only went for the subscription to Adobe CC now because they do a educational discount for teachers and students.  so i got a year subscription for 49 bucks.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,810 Ambassador

Topic wise, we've drifted here a bit. VCP is a third-party developer, and isn't Adobe. 

Element 3D v2 has fun new features, but the last features update for Element 3D was 1.6 in July of 2013, with a 1.62 bug-fix revision in Oct 2013. So that's a 15-16 month development cycle for new features. Not bad for a small developer. 

Adobe, as a company, has around 250,000 employees. FxHome has 18. Obviously, Adobe doesn't have 250,000 programmers on After Effects, but I can pretty much assume that Adobe has far more than 18 coders on each of their products. With FxHome, I know Simon, Axel and Kristie aren't coders, Ady and the other tech support crew may code, but not full-time, so I feel reasonably certain that FxHome's code crew is about 10 people. 

Obviously increased manpower (and budget) lead to a faster development cycle. 

The subscription model has advantages. Unfortunately, for me, the effective cDRM on your own work" (as Simon Jones put it) is a deal-breaker for many, including me. Personally, I will stay on 6.5 as long as I can, but am trying to shift to other packages--GIMP, Hitfilm, and I am going to force myself to get proficient in Blender. If the subscription model works for you, awesome! Adobe makes a lot of quality products. 

The Mac Kickstarter certainly was helpful to FxHome, but ww didn't "pay for" the Mac version. $50k would pay for development hardware hardware and some overtime, but that sum is a small part of development cost--a Mac version would have happened. The Kickstarter likely made certain is was done for last year's Xmas season before shifting to the Plug-ins. 

The plug-ins are cross-host compatible. There's a high probability that Hitfilm 3 is a ground-up rewrite to take advantage of this new plug-in architecture. We shall see. 

Ae is awesome software. Element 3D is awesome software. Hitfilm is awesome software. If one or more has useful tools for your creative work, use 'em. If they don't, don't use' em! 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,810 Ambassador

Back to VCP 2--the physical shaders are pretty sexy--it's nice our little home computers are rapidly reaching the point where we can toss a lot of the "fake" ways of doing materials for decades for physics/optics-based calculations.

If anyone is unaware of the differences between physical and conventional shaders, here's a decent article which goes over some of the basic principles without actually getting into the math: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

Element v2 does indeed look fab. I look forward to playing with it, and with the inevitable new content packs they'll be making.

• MichaelJames

@Simon... hmm if i completely over analyze your statement... does by you looking forward to playing with it mean it works in hitfilm 3?  Where is the photos showing FXhome's offices where we see what is clearly hitfilm 3 on computers semi obscured and in the background?  You know something we have to zoom in 500% to kinda make out?

• IamJoshuaDavies
    IamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 360 Staff

Photo... what photo?

• SimonKJones

Hah! Just to cut that one off at the pass before it gets out of hand...no, Element3Dv2 will not be working in HitFilm anytime soon. :) Any reports of Josh and Andrew chatting at NAB earlier this year are mere hearsay.

No sneaky photos for now, I'm afraid. Though the thing being  built right behind my desk is pretty damned awesome, I gotta say.

• MichaelJames

@JoshuaDavies I was only suggesting FXhome take photos to stir the hypebeast.  Its like when motorola has "leaks" that fully details their new phones but it turns out they come from official channels.

@SimonKJones Hmm Josh and Andrew were talking at NAB earlier THIS year?  hmm curious.  Would you say it was an agreeable chat? ;)  Lol ok ok i won't keep poking the hype beast. 

• IamJoshuaDavies
    IamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 360 Staff

Andrew is a really nice guy so sure, it was an agreeable chat... and I'm sure we'll chat some more.

• MichaelJames

@Tooshka i am trying to insinuate that there was more to their conversation and thus incite people to poke the hype beast. 

Hmm a merger maybe?  FX Home + Video Copilot = FX Copilot or Video Home.

• Triem23
    edited October 2014

I'm pretty sure Andrew Kramer said "What's up, guys? Andrew Kramer here from Videocopilot-dot-net with another EXCITING NAB conversation." 

• RodyPolis
    RodyPolis Website User Posts: 612 Just Starting Out*

I was gonna like Triem's post, but then noticed the Like feature is gone. Nooo!

• Triem23

Great, Rody--thanks for pointing that out! Now StormyKnight is crying again! ;-)

• SimonKJones

Hehe. I like to think Andrew wakes up and starts every day with a variation on that line.

• Triem23

While staring in the mirror? "What's up, guys, Andrew Kramer here from Videocopilot. Dot net. here with another EXCITING shave, shower and poop!"

• MichaelJames
  • HarryTippetts
    HarryTippetts Website User Posts: 65

Does the lack of PC HitFilm updates/tutorials/news/rumours mean that I will be very shortly presented with a choice involving an exchange of money for HitFilm 3?

When should I start saving?

On a scale of William Hartnel to Matt Smith, how much am I going to be like a small child in a sweet shop when you release it?

• MichaelJames

@Haribo, you know hitfilm 3 is coming so start saving.  You know hitfilm 4 will most likely be coming.  Start saving for that too:)

• Triem23

The rating scale doesn't work without knowing your favorite Doctors. Personally, my top three are 1) Tom Baker,  2) Sylvester McCoy,  3) Peter Capaldi. 

• Triem23

Sure there have--one update with two filters, three bug fixes. Most recent update 6/17/14, to fix an issue causing flares to display improperly on Nvidia cards. (I am the kind of guy who saves all installer updates in case a new version has a new problem and I need to roll back) 

• Triem23

Possibly true, but, if as I suspect, Hitfilm 3 is being written to take advantage of cross-platform standards (and the Plug-Ins point to this), then third time should be the charm, and a Hitfilm 3.5 or 4 could have a reduced development cycle, now that the heavy-lifting of three ground-up code bases is done. 

Besides, ground-up rewrites happen. Vegas was ground up for versions 1, 3, 6, 10, 12 and 13! I know Photoshop has been ground-up recodes several times. I think CS, CS 6 and CC were. Certainly whichever version added the Mercury Engine was. 

I could make other examples, but I am already boring. 

;-) 

• HarryTippetts
    HarryTippetts Website User Posts: 65

@MichaelJames My scale was on how exited I imagined each doctor to be in that situation. I'm thinking Hartnel, Troughton, CBaker, Davison, Capaldi, Pertwee, Eccleston, McGann, Tennant (would play it cool), TBaker, Smith.

I still can't believe that we've had HFU2 for two years already...

• SimonKJones

There's some epic presenting-speculation-as-facts going on here. :)

Anyway, bow ties are cool.

• Triem23

I, too, have used many fuzzy-logic words like "speculate," "suspect"and "guess." ;-)