Creating an outline

Dimipapa
Dimipapa Website User Posts: 386 Enthusiast

There are a few ways to do so in hitfilm. However I dunno if there is a best way. I had been using a newblue effect called outline, even though it did exactly what I wanted it would sometimes lead to stability issues. The new outline option in the text tab works well for text sometimes but othertimes eats into the font and doesn't look good. You can make one but expanding a mask sometimes.

So another way I have recently started to create an outline, which works good for text and for images is I take the outer glow effect, I bring opacity and spread all the way up, and then I make the size whatever I want. This generates the same effect as the newblue outline effect did except I haven't had any stability issues doing it this way.

So, try it if you want, or don't!

Comments

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,067 Ambassador

@Dimipapa I could be wrong, but isn't the default for Outline on a Text Layer "Overfill," meaning that the Outline only goes out from the Text and doesn't eat away at it?

• Dimipapa

@FilmSensei I never even noticed there was an option. Still I feel like it doesn't look right on some font's but either way you could still use this method on images or green screen of some sort.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,826 Ambassador

@FilmSensei I think "Overfill" can erode the text, as well as Centered. UNDER never does.

@Dimipapa yeah, you should take another look in the text panel. When you add an outline there's a little drop down with the three options listed in the prior paragraph.

Outer glow for outlines does work well. And it's another win for Pro-Only effects.

Sadly, I uninstalled all my NewBlue effects years ago. Before I discovered Hitfilm NewBlue and BCC got a lot of use. NewBlue effects, while they do look good, and I love some of their transitions, has always been so unstable for me I literally mapped a mouse button (a side button that defaults to Home) to Save, because I would save every single time a added, muted, or adjusted a NewBlue effect because of the constant crashing.

BCC? It's great, and if they ever decide to make Hitfilm a supported host I'll upgrade from my 2011 edition. I tell Boris this every year... You'd think they'd want my money! Heh.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,067 Ambassador

@Dimipapa @Triem23 Here is my quick, 18 second test on this. I still believe that the Overfill Outline does not erode the text...

• Dimipapa

Even if thats true there are still fonts overfill doesn't play nice with. The one on the right was done with overfill, the one on the left outer glow