Olympus has Fallen VFX breakdown

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast

I didn't realize the extensive level vfx that went into this movie.  Not the obvious stuff but just the basic stuff.

Comments

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast

I was trying to find the feature request thread because there are some things in this vfx breakdown that i think would be very useful if these features were improved in hitfilm.  I think if there can be improvements in the ability to create 3d sets and create bigger worlds in hitfilms 3d space.  In the past i have suggested rigs that are presets and shareable, but in general would would help make it easier to work in 3d space? 

Triem has a lovely ufo invasion video that he made with a particle simulator.  Would there be a way to improve the hitfilm to make it possible to do that 3d models easier?  Maybe i want to have some intergalactic war and have 100 different ships converge on 1 point and then each one open fire at different points.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,995 Ambassador

Awesome!  Thanks for posting this, Michael.

It's just freaking amazing what can be done now.  The days of set extensions are behind us, now its world extensions.

• Andrew
    Andrew Website User Posts: 379 Enthusiast
    edited October 2014

Olympus Has Fallen has some of the most laughable, lazily-composed and rendered VFX I've seen in a movie of its scope and caliber of quality. Surprised and somewhat thrown off by the response in this thread to it.

While visual effects are by no means an easy or small task, they can be used, organized, and done very poorly in heavily underbudgeted and underbaked ways. Olympus Has Fallen, in my mind, was really failed by the way it tackled VFX. So congested with such low-quality work and an overreliance on it at every turn and subtlety

For a movie that was pleasantly surprising in many other areas, I was really let down by that aspect. The movie is worse off for it.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,995 Ambassador

Yeah, there are some goofs in there for sure.   When the guardhouse is blown up and all the car windows blow out from the "shockwave", the flag on the middle car never moves.  Several other hastily done shots, as well.

But as an educational tool, it's still good to see 'how they did it' videos to get some ideas and think about how to stretch your capabilities.

Here is another one you might enjoy (albeit a bit dated)

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,069 Staff

Always good to see some new behind the scenes VFX videos. Whether they're good or bad, both help our users to identify interesting techniques and hopefully inspire them to pay close attention to the movie or try to recreate interesting effects. 
    I might share that Olympus has Fallen BTS video on our social media channels for others to take a look at. Thanks Michael!