OpenGL Error

FilmSensei
FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,941 Ambassador

I'm sure it must be me, but I am getting an OpenGL Error more and more. I have never got this error until recently, but now it crashes HitFilm several times per day. I am wondering if this is due to the upgrade to 16. It's probably more due to the fact that I am running very heavy shots involving the Particle Sim, models, etc....

Tagged:

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,149 Ambassador
    edited April 29

@FilmSensei Hey Jay. Which GPU do you have? I saw an alert today about NVidia urging users to update drivers due to a security flaw. I assume your drivers are up to date?

• FilmSensei

@Stargazer54 These are my specs...

16gig ram, DDR4 3200, AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost), MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Graphics Card

Yes, my GPU drivers are up to date: Driver Version: 466.11 - Release Date: Wed Apr 14, 2021

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,863 Staff

@FilmSensei if you have a project that reproduces this, could you send it to support? Apparently this can happen with really intensive operations or when running out of VRAM.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,537 Enthusiast

@FilmSensei I have not noticed a OpenGL error dialog BUT I have noticed straight up crashes on projects that I built in previous versions (14 and back). I simply run out of memory. It's like there is a memory leak or something? Hitfilm has never gobbled up 8gigs of Vram in the past. Never. Max that I've ever used is 3-4. Strange that it suddenly started with 16. Id argue it's something with ver. 16 that's causing the leak.

2c's

• FilmSensei
    edited April 29

@TheBenNorris @GrayMotion

I'm sure I'm running out of memory. I am currently working with a very complex 3D scene that has 60+ layers including several models, Particle Sims, Lights, Points, etc.... It usually happens when I switch views (say from Active Camera to Top View) or when I am in a view and either move or expand out to see more items (i.e. I'm in Top view and I roll the mouse wheel back to see more of the 3D arena). I can mostly prevent it if I turn off everything except for the exact item that I am working on, but even then it will sometimes give me the error.

Update: The newest driver for my GPU just came out... 466.27. I am still up to date!

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,537 Enthusiast
    edited April 29

It usually happens when I switch views (say from Active Camera to Top View)

I can tell you first hand I've had that problem in the past for sure. Even with all lights off and 1/4 view. Although I use multiple views instead of single views (say from Active Camera to Top View) I have learnt to avoid 4 views or even 3 for a long time. This was really noticeable from 11-13. Of course, as you may know, I work almost exclusively in 3D space with CGI so I really tax the system resources.

-iMac 2013 Quad-Core Intel Core i5 , 3.2 GHz , 16GB w/ NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1GB v-ram - (will crash or slow to a super crawl)

** Of course this machine has all but reached end of life for Hitfilm.

-iMac Retina 5k 2020, Intel 10 Core i9 3.6GHz, 32GB, w/Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB v-ram (won't crash but you can "feel" the lag)

**Not a real comparison as I dont think Big Sur is fully supported yet.

-PC - Intel Core i7-6700k, 4.00GHz, 32GB, w/NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB v-ram ( "feel" the lag and will crash at times)

IMHO - It seems to me that it must be related to the GUI in someway for all 3 to exhibit the same behavior. Multiple views seems to crap out all machines if the load is heavy. Of course 3 and 4 views would make sense that the system load is very heavy when drawing all the views.

Hope you get it fleshed out soon.

EDIT: Ya know. Thinking about it...are you using a model in your setup? A few times I swapped out the model I was using for another model and the problem of crashing when changing views went away. I chalked it up to bad model geometry and moved on. Just a thought.

• spyresca
    spyresca Website User Posts: 183 Enthusiast

Are you using the nvidia "Game Ready" or "Studio" drivers? Perhaps you could try the one you're not currently using and see if that makes a difference?

• FilmSensei

@GrayMotion I'm actually using the ProductionCrate Warship and Fighter Models. I think maybe the Warship has a couple of geometry issues, especially around the back engines, but the fighters are simple and good. There shouldn't be an issue with that. It could be that I am just taxing my system to the max. I only have 16 GB of RAM, so that may be the cause.

@spyresca I am using the standard NVidia driver for my card... nothing fancy. It's definitely the one I should be using.

• spyresca
    edited April 29

There isn't a "Standard Driver" (unless you count what Windoze might want to use in absence of what you'd download manually or via experience) from nvida. Through nvidia, there are only the two discrete discrete drivers (Studio) and (Game Ready). "Studio" is a slightly older, more stable version that has more QA directed towards it (and perhaps some enhancements) for creative software. As a bonus, it doesn't affect gaming performance. Have you tried it?

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,793 Moderator
    edited April 29

I use the Studio driver (I believe) but I have never tried anything as complicated as what FilmSensei has described so that is totally anecdotal info on my part.

• spyresca

I used to use the "Game Ready" Drivers, but but I switched to the "Studio" drivers some time back and my system now runs more stable and gaming doesn't seem to be affected at all.