[FEATURE] Keyframing of Layer Blend Modes.

Triem23
Triem23 ModeratorModerator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,561 Ambassador

This idea originally came from a thread by @throndronis.

I can't think of any software that can keyframe blend modes, and, since blend modes apply last in a layer's order of operation, I don't know how feasible it is to add a keyframed parameter at that point.

However, since Blend Modes are simple arithmatic equations applied to channel values, it should be possible to keyframe between them? Maybe? Seems like this might require multi frame readout to grab the equations from both blend modes then ramp channel values, but, hey, I thought it was an interesting and unique idea.

Tagged:

Comments

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,863 Staff

I'm guessing this means explicitly linear keyframing, not constant keyframing? As the prior is significantly harder to accomplish.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,561 Ambassador

@TheBenNorris the way @throndronis wrote his original post it did sound like he was hoping for interpolated keys, whether linear, smooth, etc.

And, yeah, that's significantly harder. There may be a good programming reason no NLE I'm familiar with has ever had this as a feature.

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,863 Staff

@Triem23 from a developer POV, the reason would be that unlike other things, you're not so much interpolating between a value but an algorithm.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,561 Ambassador

@TheBenNorris I can see that. The only reason I think it's even remotely possible is, at least the algorithms are simple math equations. All the blend modes are (more or less) some variation off adding, subtracting, inverting or averaging values. I can see where it's doable, but I wouldn't think it's trivial since, to ramp values between the two equations I think they'd both have to be solved so the final channel values can be interpolated. I believe Hitfilm typically works on the "current frame only," so this is a change where Hitfilm has to look ahead to another frame.

I think. I haven't written code since... ugh, likely before you were born, so I'm largely speculating here.

It might not be doable, but, hey, that's why it's a "wish" list!