A.I's and the future of "MOAR CORES" processors in editing

Hictor
Hictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 351 Enthusiast
edited April 21 in General

So, I’ve recently bought the Ryzen 3900XT. It’s a beast of a processor to be sure – but honestly, I can’t say that anyone’s missing out on much if they’re not owning one.

I’m willing to put top dollar that lesser cores will outperform during exports, albeit, by a marginal gain.

HAVING SAID THAT, HOWEVER

I want to bring our attention to A.I’s and their increasing involvement in post production. I’m currently upscaling a 720P video to 4K using the Topaz Video Enhancer tool and quite frankly – I’ve never seen CPU readings spread evenly across so many threads like this.

I should note that most A.I’s I’ve encountered seemed to have an even demand between CPUs and GPUs, rather then favoring one over the other.

At first, I thought it was strange, since we are speaking about Image Processing. But when broken down, A.Is are essentially one-click glorified niche editors, thus they come with the same complexities – encoding/decoding/compression etc plus their range of different formulas on how to do things. For example, in Topaz Video Enhancer, I am presented with around 15 different methods of upscaling which I assume employ algorithyms that will benchmark differently between cpus and gpus respectively.

BUT – given that GPU & CPUS do talk to each other, and the sheer processing power required to initiate these operations, I’m beginning to wonder if cpus like the Ryzen 3900XT or indeed even the Threadripper CPUS gain higher demand as more A.I solutions are integrated into editing applications.

Imagine Fxhome one day comes up with a Rotoscoping A.I! (Can you?!)