Fade to color does not work when exporting more than one clip

shomur
shomur Posts: 2 Just Starting Out
edited April 2021 in HitFilm

Hello.

I am using Hitfilm Express. I cut one video into several clips, added fade to color effects to the endings of each clip, added all clips to the export que and start exporting. The output files do not have fade effect.

What should I do to make it right?

Thank you!

Answers

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,042 Staff

This seems to be the expected behavior, although I can understand why it would not seem that way.

Thank you for bringing this up, it's started a discussion internally about how we could potentially change or adjust this workflow in the future.

In the meantime, an alternative way to do this will be to use the IN/OUT points, and export that way.

May I ask, what the reasoning is for exporting lots of individual clips instead of one larger clip?

• shomur
    shomur Posts: 2 Just Starting Out
    Thank you, Ben! It worked with in and out points, assigning them to each part of the clip one by one and then adding to export que. Your advice was really helpful.

Though just simply adding all clips at once would save some time :).
    The reason why I need to export individual clips is that I am crating an online course using prerecorded long videos, one hour+ each. I need to cut these videos by topic in smaller pieces. I have around 30 videos to transform into around 100 smaller clips. Thus batch export seems the only solution.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,279 Power User

@TheBenNorris to clarify for myself - because I've never dragged clips directly from a Timeline to the Export Panel.

Dragging clips to the Export Panel bypasses transitions if I'm understanding correctly. Is the assumption being made that dragging a clip from Timeline to Export Panel means the user is setting up a transcode? If so, wouldn't the user still want all applied effects and transitions baked in?

Sorry, man, this is probably the same discussion you had internally. I can totally see why @shomur is using the workflow they are.

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,042 Staff

@Triem23 right click->export clip applies effects but not transitions for a seemingly logical reason I found out, unfortunately it does stop this workflow. We are considering alternatives or workarounds that could make things like this easier in the future.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,279 Power User

@TheBenNorris

I chuckled at the unspecified "seemingly logical reason," but will try not to read too much subtext into the adverb.