Stabilizing and Volumetric Light

inScapeDigitalinScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out

Hey guys,

I made a tutorial on using the stabilizing feature in HitFilm 2U as well as a volumetric light effect based off Andrew Kramer's from Video Copilot. Check it out and let me know what you think! 

http://youtu.be/W9kNfzfAI8Q

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,313 Ambassador

As with all your tutorials, you do a good job of presenting the basics of the technique. Your tutorials go very quickly compared to just about everyone else, except, maybe, Film Riot, but you do a good job of explaining things concisely in a limited time.

Nice adaptation of the Kramer tutorial as well.

• inScapeDigitalinScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out

Thanks for the feedback! I know that I personally don't like videos over 10 minutes, which is why I try to keep mine straight to the point.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,313 Ambassador
    edited September 2014

It depends on what you're doing--for a quick demo of stabilizing and a quick n' dirty volumetric light, you can get it done in under 5 minutes. Sometimes you need more time. Of course, in your case, it also helps that there are similar tutorials you can, and do reference--so, sticking with the volumetric light, you bring up Videocopilot's version, which people can go watch instead, which will be a more detailed tutorial (and also cover using fractal noise for fake fog), or how your Doctor Who time tunnel tutorial had the "Hey, Simon Jones did this as well, so go check his out, so I can just cover what I did differently" bit. :-)

I'm working on a tutorials series right now, and part of the reason it's a series is because they're going to be long... But, in my case I'm having to hit some underlying principles and explain some "Why?" before the "HOW?"

If you don't understand Euler rotation order, or that Hitfilm's Euler order is always X,Y,Z then you can't understand correctly how Hitfilm's cameras work, for example--so that tutorial will talk bout that sort of thing before it gets into building virtual tripods and cranes.

BTW--how's that new T3i working out for you?

You're right, some things do require more explanation, but being able to reference a previous tutorial does make it easier.

T3i is fantastic, really liking it. Haven't gotten to use it as much as I would like since I started college but when I have free time I'll get back into it.

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast

What capture software are you using?

QuickTime at 1080p

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

Thanks, VFXStudio! That's a great 'to the point' tutorial. It will definately come in handy!