FXHOME's first New Tutorial Should be Creating...

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
edited September 2014 in Post-production techniques

FXhome's first new tutorial should be creating in hitfilm the image from the new community page.

It is such a beautiful image that it should really be a welcome back tutorial.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

That....is a pretty cool idea. The image itself was actually a stock image, but it is indeed something which could be created directly inside HitFilm.

I'll give it a think....

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

30 minutes later...

OK, I gave it a think. Ta-da:

Planet with stars and stuff!

It's not an exact replica, obviously, and needs a bit of polish here and there, but conceptually it's all there. What's particularly nice about this is the combination of effects:

1. The background starfield is using atomic particles.

2. The planet is using sphere (obviously), with fractal noise for the texture.

3. The arcs (what ARE they? Nuclear missiles? Not sure this planet is going to last long...) are created using the particle simulator.

4. The glowy sparkly bits are auto light flares.

It's a cool use of lots of different HitFilm features and would definitely make a good tutorial. I'll see if I can fit it into my schedule to do a proper tute.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

Yup, MichaelJames is right--the stock phot is very pretty, and Simon, your recreation is also very pretty, and very quick!

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast

Very nice.  Your forum needs a slow clap button.

Heh, thanks. 10 years ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be able to create an image like that quite that quickly, through primarily procedural techniques.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

Although since it's a pretty, optimistic image, let us assume that the streaks represent interconnected arcs of data streams, not nukes... 

Unless you're really gonna animate the apocalypse. I must say, I have been playing with procedural techniques to generate textures for explosions via the particle sim... 

I've never had time to properly investigate particle explosions, so that sounds VERY interesting. Getting particle explosions up to a level where they're a legitimate alternative to stock footage is a pretty steep mountain to climb, I imagine.

Yeah, let's go with arcs of data. People communicating. There's a joke here about some of the initial reactions to the new forum and what exactly those arcs represent, but I can't quite formulate it.

Nukes of data? 

I haven't gotten any explosions yet that would work in a ground-level setting, but great airbursts and space explosions. The preset fire explosion is actually a good start, with its only major problem being how the textures "suck up" at the end. But and animated texture that has some roil and dissipation in it adds a lot... But, for a quick, pretty epic explosion, try a 400x400 comp with the "Fire Explosion" preset. Now use THAT as an animated texture source... Toss in particle fireworks for sparks, except mobile emitters become flaming debris trailing smoke.... 

Make another comp, maybe 200x200. Add a solid,  make it a jagged shape with a mask,  add some 3D extrusion, spin it a bit, use that as an animated source texture for the mobile emitters! Procedural debris! 

You should do a series of tutorials which go through the technique at that exact speed, covering a super complicated effect in 20 seconds.

I like it, though, sounds good. I've rarely used the presets or 'quick 3D' effects, preferring to roll my own, but using them as texture sources is a neat idea I'll have to try.

is there a way to get more depth out of the particles?   I feel like that is whats im missing from your recreation.  A greater sense of depth.

Which ones, the arcing lines? 

Not the arches but the "stars" i guess

• NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited September 2014

And since it's in 3d you could put some movement and paralaxx in it?

Thank you Simon, creating joy 1 tutorial at a time:)

I need to put that on my business card.