Exporting 360 video to VR headset

Andersen01498
Andersen01498 Posts: 1,005 Enthusiast

Can Hitfilm Pro transfer 360 video from a gopro max so its viewable 360 in a vr headset?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,073 Ambassador

Depends on the format the headset wants, I suppose.

Hitfilm wants to ingest 360°×180° equirectangular projection and will output the same. I would assume most, if not all headsets are perfectly happy with those. The "texture wrapped inside the infinite sphere" seems to be the typical final delivery for 360° video.

Seems and assume cuz I don't own a headset.

• Andersen01498

Can HF export 360? If so how? @Triem23

• Andersen01498

I am surprised that there isnt a checkbox that says export 360.

• Triem23

Well, equirectangular projection is already "burned into" the file. If you've started with an equirectangular file.

For sake of discussion, this is a 360°×180° equirectangular file. It's a full wrap. Drag this to a Timeline and add the 360° Viewer effect and Hitfilm's 3D camera can pivot and rotate to look around the image.

360° video is the same thing.

You'll have to use whatever app came with your camera to convert the native dual-fisheye to an equirectangular projection before import to Hitfilm.

In Hitfilm you'd add effects from the 360° category for proper wrapping. Layer elements, like text and inserted pictures would be moved around the wrap with the 360° Transform effect.

Now adding the 360° Viewer effect is "putting on" a virtual headset and using the HF camera to look around. This is more for editing a 360° video into a "normal" video (Pro also now has a dedicated 360° Reframing Effect, "GoPro Lens Reframe."). For editing 360° in your Workspace you'll want to turn on the 360° Viewer Panel rather than add the 360° Viewer EFFECT.

The 360° Viewer is your virtual headset. You'll be able to work on the video while using the Viewer to look around.

Otherwise a standard export will have the equirectangular projection built-in. Only real problem is Hitfilm has no way to insert the 360° Metadata. You'll need to do that after rendering.

I forget - are you a Vegas Pro owner? Vegas Pro has a dual-fisheye to equirectangular tool, although with my Rylo 360 I've never gotten a good stitch. Too bad, since the Rylo app 1) never released for Windows, 2) is slooow on a phone, 3) downsamples the native 5.7k footage to 4k, which is why 4) I replaced it with a QooCam 8k.

• Andersen01498

@Triem23 yes I am a vegas pro owner

• Triem23

Might wanna look here at how Vegas can deal with 360° video as well. This is more a checklist article, but does mention Vegas's fisheye/equirectangular stitcher.