Tilly TV 2 1/2 months in

fxhomer288603
fxhomer288603 Website User Posts: 41 Just Starting Out*

This is my latest dog walk video. It was filmed with my new GoPro Hero 9 Black. Thank you Joe Biden! It was filmed with the ISO set at 5500 and in flat mode. I am not that good with color correction yet and my audio still needs work. I used Auto color, Auto Levels, Auto Contrast and the preset Curves. I am looking for tutorials on color correction that applies to Hitfilm. I will be trying some TimeWarp Videos with the camera strapped to my dog in the future which I hope to share. I get the harness in a few days. I have no idea how well my channel is doing in respect to the time I have been involved, starting in early January.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador
    edited March 23

So, regarding color correction - most color correction tools are pretty standardized. Color Curves, Levels (Histogram), Color Wheels, LUTs, Brightness/Contrast and Hue Saturation all work exactly the same in any software.

So, a Curves tutorial in Photoshop or Ae works exactly the same in Hitfilm. Same with the other effects listed above. There while you can certainly find Hitfilm specific color correction tutorials, for the tools listed above, any tutorials work.

Learn "Color Curves" first. Curves are ridiculously versatile, and in almost any tutorial you watch, when the tutorial gets to color correction and grading you'll see Curves used for something...

Careful with the "Auto" effects. Those recalculate per-frame, which means there can be variations from frame to frame. Also, because Hitfilm has to recalculate the Auto effects on every frame, they're slooow. Getting more comfortable with manual correction will cut your render times in half or more.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador
    edited March 23

Dog waking videos ain't my thing, so I only watched about half, but you've cut things nicely, have some nice animated text boxes going, good music choices, and, most importantly, you got your camera nice and low so you're looking at the dogs at their level, not staring down at their backs...

Good work. Hope your channel grows.

Oh! I didn't click through to your channel, but this FilmSensei livestream might be of interest. He looked at several YouTube channels and gave advice on how to tweak things to increase subscribers. A month later he revisited the channels that made changes based on his suggestions, and all of them had statistically significant growth.

• fxhomer288603
    fxhomer288603 Website User Posts: 41 Just Starting Out*

After watching both of your Scopes videos I felt I had a better understanding of the process. This video is only 3 min and I was fortunate to get my footage in 2 cuts, I have a lot of practice recording dogs. I manually color corrected both clips, first white balance, then contrast and brightness and used curves along with the parade scope as a final adjustment. I would be interested in you opinion, thanks in advance.