Is importing DnxHR files possible in Hitfilm (Express)?

HitFilmEnthusiast
HitFilmEnthusiast Website User Posts: 33 Just Starting Out*
edited March 21 in HitFilm

I exported files with alpha channel (removed chromakey) in Davinci Resolve, in different situation I`d use Cineform as always but Davinci only allows DnxHR to export alpha. But when I import all I made into Hitfillm it shows only transparency with sound and no RGB information. Is there any way to fix it? I read that it needs quicktime and avid codecs, I have both installed. I`m on Windows.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,972 Ambassador

Hmmm. In older versions of Hitfilm DNxHD/DNxHR were actually recommended import formats until Hitfilm added Cineform and hardware decoding for mp4.

Hitfilm 13 changed to using the OS encoders/decoders. This was done to eliminate a paid codec add-on, but I haven't tried importing any DNxHD/HR footage in a long time. I'll see if I can find/create some DNxHR w/alpha footage to test in Express. Worse comes to worse I'll render from Resolve myself!

You will need to have QuickTime installed... Now, I think the most recent version (7.7.9) is problematic in HF. @Stargazer54 can you sanity check me here? I think 7.7.6 is the best version for Hitfilm. I should check next time I'm on my PC (on a phone right now) to see which version I have installed.

I know you said you had QuickTime and Avid Codecs installed, but, for safety...

Here's a link to QuickTime 7.7.6

And 7.7.9

Download Avid Codecs

Might also be worth right-clicking media files in the bin, selecting Properties, unchecking "From File" in the Alpha properties and toggling those settings?

• HitFilmEnthusiast
    edited March 22

Just did it, nothing changed

I have the last version of Quicktime. maybe that`s the thing, might try to downgrade it later

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,338 Ambassador
    edited March 22

@Triem23 Yes, 7.7.9 Quicktime for Windows 10 is the newest version. 7.6 is still available here https://support.apple.com/downloads/quicktime

As far as DNxHD, it worked really well with previous versions of HF, but I have abandoned that as an intermediate codec in favor of transcoding to Cineform since that become a native codec embedded in HF. I still use VirtualDub2 for that purpose. But transcoding with Handbrake to AVC works well, too. I find that a quicker route in most cases.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,972 Ambassador

@Stargazer54 thanks.

In this case OP needs alpha, so Handbrake is right out. Original export is DNxHR from Resolve, so maybe a VirtualDub transcode to Cineform is the way to go?

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,338 Ambassador

Hmm.... maybe export the alpha and the 24bit video separately out of Davinci and recombine in HF?

• HitFilmEnthusiast
    edited March 22

how`s that? I don`t understand, I should investigate

So that means there`s no adequate solution. Thanks

• Stargazer54

If you export two files - one with just the alpha (which would be white over black) and the other with just the video. You can stack them both in a composite shot over the top of a background layer. Then apply the Set Matte effect on your exported video layer, then select the the alpha layer as the Source Layer . That will cut the hole for you video layer.

Also you might explore other options for exporting out of Resolve to perhaps AVI with Alpha or Cineform with Alpha.

Tagging @NormanPCN to see if he has better ideas.

• HitFilmEnthusiast

ah, now I understand, many thanks!

As I said Davinci supports only Dnxhr with alpha, which is weird for sure, if it was different, there wouldn`t be any questions. The only option aside from what you`ve described is exporting Tiff or Exr sequences and combine those with the sound I get from importing DNxhr into Hitfilm

• Stargazer54

HF will accept PNG with Alpha. So exporting to an image sequence and then importing into HF will reassemble that to a video sequence with alpha.

• HitFilmEnthusiast

Davinci exports PNG only as stills.😁 As for Image Sequences, only Tiff or Exr plus some others less famous I`ve never tried