Background BLEED THROUGH on screen. My wig is a GHOST!!!! I need assistance

Moonmystic
Moonmystic Website User Posts: 4 Just Starting Out

I have a problem which I did not foresee. I am filming in green screen. When I toyed around with lighting and the false background it looked great. HOWEVER, I will be wearing a dark haired wig. For some reason the dark haired wig looks like a ghost wig and the false background shows through. I’ve tried no lighting....more lighting....medium lighting...black sheets around lighting making sure there isn’t any green spill..... placing the light directly over my head, then removing it. I put a light behind my head for a halo effect....problem not solved. I still have a ghostly see through wig. My face is fine. I remove the wig and use my own hair.... everything is fine.

I see a lot of discussion on fixing the green screen spills and halos but nothing about looking ghostly which is entirely different.

What gives?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

I think we'll need to see some screenshots of the footage of you in the wig. Roght now, since I can't visualize what's happening, I can't make any suggestions.

• Moonmystic

Screenshot 1 (normal). And 2 ( ghost wig). I would have posted the actual videos but it would not accept my extension since I filmed it on my iPad. Look closely at screenshot 2 around my head.

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Website User Posts: 520 Enthusiast

@Moonmystic

Looks like your wig has some green in it that is not really visible to the eye. The keying effect is trying to "remove the green". You can mask that out.

There was a tutorial on this, but I can't find it right now. Someone has a green patch or something on a shirt or article of clothing.

I could be wrong about the wig, but that is what it looks like. Hope this helps.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,682 Moderator

Or, it is possible there is enough shininess/ reflectiviness to the hair that.it is picking up the green from your background. You might try .oving away from the green a bit if possible, or even changi g the angle of the lights so it doesnt bounce off the wig. Without seeing a pre keyed shot I can't be sure that's what might be happening.

• Moonmystic

@DataDesign and @tddavis thank you so much for your thoughts. They have crossed my mind. I will try a few things out. Even if I have to add a little powder to the wig without making it look dusty. 😆. I appreciate the responses.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,682 Moderator
    edited March 21

@Moonmystic Powder could work but also there is a matte spray for (Or there used to be) that was used to take shine off glass in picture frames, mirrors on stage shows, lens (to get a soft focus) etc. You could look at hobby stores and such if the powder doesn't help. Oh, and one other thing I used to do when pulling alpha in photo work and I got a bit of aggressive spill like that was to double the layer. Anywhere it's not partially see-through will remain the same but the extra info where it is see-through seemed to help hide it.

• Moonmystic

Thank you @tddavis I will check for a matte spray. It maybe good to have for other projects. Because the hair is dark I may try a sprinkling of activated charcoal and see if it stays in.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador
    edited March 22

Another thing to look at is the process you're using to key. Which keyer are you using and have you added the Matte Cleaner, effect AFTER the key. Also look at "Alpha Brightness and Contrast" or "Crush Black and White Alpha." either of those might be able to bring back the ghosted areas. Also look at "Color Curves." Color Curves can select the Alpha/Transparency, so that might be able to clean up the key.

Powder and/or matte spray are certainly good to look at for the next shoot to avoid this cleanup, but I'll cross my fingers you'll be able to save your current edit.

Another approach is more labor intensive, but can yield better keys... The basic concept is you'll make a Comp where you adjust your footage to get a cleaner key (but makes your footage ugly) and use this version as a matte to key a second copy of yourself.

Now, mpeg compression (your iPad shoots mpeg, whether h.264 or h.265) compresses in "macroblocks" that are 8x8 or 16x16. This can make edges blocky and hard to key - especially long hair. The 'Chroma UV Blur" filter works on color-only, ignoring Luminance. This can "smear" the greens a bit to overcome the macroblocks. The add a color curve and boost mid/high greens and drop low greens. The goal is to boost the green in the screen while hopefully pulling some spill from your wig/skin clothes. Then your chroma key, followed by a Matte Choker. Again, the goal of this is all about getting a good edge, not worrying about how ugly this will look.

Then you drag this comp into a second comp with your raw video (Mute the Comp. You don't need to see it). Add a Set Matte to your footage. For the Source Layer, select the ugly keyed footage. Set the Matte Source to Alpha and the Blend to Replace. This will apply the key from the ugly comp to your footage.

Hopefully something in here fixes your key!