Filling a video character with color or psychadelic colors in HF pro

Randyrhoads3
Randyrhoads3 Website User Posts: 45 Just Starting Out*

I am trying to achieve a video that has characters which are outlined only with colors in place of their body and facial details. Just a silhouette of color but outlined of the moving person. I am assuming this would start with masking the character out of background then frame by frame adjust points with the movement? Ouch. LOL!!

All ears here and thank you as always!!

David

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,682 Moderator

@Randyrhoads3 If you are talking about footage you've already shot, the yes that is what I think you'll have to do. On the plus side there, the mask would not have to be 100% accurate like you were comping it into other footage, The color fill will hide a lot of overage. Now, if you filmed the people in front of a green or blue screen or, really most solid colors, then keying will be much simpler to get the transparency of the background then add your fill color. Hope that helps and maybe I missed something easy that others will know.

• Randyrhoads3
    edited March 15

This does work indeed thank you for your advice @tddavis . Things I now see are important with this? I see a lot of things like a side profile shot is really needed to get the best result as well as getting every mask point movement just right. The person is singing LOL. What was I thinking. Lots of frames ugh.

Just a thought. Could this be tracked after it is masked instead of going frame by frame? Hmmmm.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador
    edited March 15

You can run the 2D point trackers on the layer after it's masked - the tracker actually applies before the mask, anyway, so you could even track elements that were masked out and apply the track to a point. This works if your color effects can parent to points (like the gradient tools or light flares).

Now, if you're thinking of tracking and applying the track to the mask, that won't work (because tracking applies before masks.

To "track a mask" you have to use a matte (reminder - a mask is directly applied to a layer, a matte uses a second layer to general transparency on the first layer).

Sadly, I'm about to get dressed for a funeral, so I won't go into detail now. I'll tag @FilmSensei who knows the technique and (I think) made a video about it.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,854 Ambassador

@Triem23 Thanks for tagging me.

@Randyrhoads3 Here are a couple of videos that I would like for you to watch. This one talks about an easy way to create a mask without a lot of rotoscoping...

Because you don't need a perfect matte, this may be the way to go! Depending on your footage, you might have to break up the shots into individual segments that you can run through the procedure and then stitch it all back together in the end.

The second video...

...speaks to the idea of using a tracking point to help your rotoscoping / masking. It also uses a matte instead of directly masking the footage. That is what Triem was alluding to.

Keep us posted how it's going!

• Randyrhoads3

I will be trying the above advice today. You guys are amazing as always!!

David

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Website User Posts: 339 Enthusiast

Wow that rotoscoping tool is great, its like a free version of after affects rotobrush.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,854 Ambassador
  • Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Website User Posts: 339 Enthusiast

@FilmSensei I wanted to turn someones face blue to emphasize a brain freeze and with a fair amount of leave out dots I was able to just select the face.