Laggy viewer when stacking effects

FarisAzri
FarisAzri Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*

So, my school recently got a new PC with these specs;

Ryzen 5 3600

16 GB RAM

500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

GTX 1650

So, the first thing I did was install Hitfilm Express and tested out a composite shot. I made a composite shot with a 1080p video, then added some effects (BP shockwave, green ripple shock, flame shockwave, and lightning). When I played the viewer, it was very laggy. Felt like I was using my i5/ GTX 1050 laptop.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,836 Ambassador

Well, the 1650 is only about 30% faster than the 1050 and a Ryzen 5 is about equivalent to an i5, so I'm not surprised.

You've added multiple particle effects and a high-resource procedural effect, so you do have a pretty hefty load happening.

Any machine, even with, say, a i9 and nvidia 3xxx series GPU will eventually be subject to slowdown in any software as effects get added. This will, of course, depend on the exact effects and exact hardware.

• FarisAzri
    FarisAzri Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*

I see. Is it something to do with the layers?

What if I save the effects as a video and import it later. If I use the video as a layer, will it still slow down the computer?

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,269 Ambassador

@FarisAzri Something to keep in mind is that you can Pre-Render a composite shot. Then it will play smoothly on the timeline (before actually rendering out the whole project). Plan your work so that if you have a complicated background and other things over the top you can have the complicated background in one comp and embed it in a new composite shot to add additional effects. Pre-render the complicated background comp and you can work in the new comp much faster. Just know that if you go back to the pre-rendered comp and change something that you'll have to pre-render again.