[ENHANCEMENT] Movable lights in 3D Model Import dialog/Material Editor

Triem23
Triem23 ModeratorModerator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,561 Ambassador

Currently the 3D light in the 3D Model Import dialog shines "through the camera lens." This provides a fairly flat lighting which is pretty good for judging Diffuse and Specular colors, and, to a certain amount, reflections.

However, it's utterly useless for adjusting things like Fresnel - literally useless, since Fresnel covers how apparent color reflects with changing angle of incidence between light, object and camera.

Since mouse drags rotate the object in 3D space, I suggest adding an icon to the viewer. Click+hold+drag on this icon would rotate the light on the X/Y axes.

Icon could look something like this:

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,561 Ambassador
    edited March 12
  • FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,941 Ambassador

You got my vote for sure!

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,793 Moderator
    edited March 12

I already had. 🤣 When I see you taking the time to write up a request I know that it is something needed. 👍️ Even if 99% of the time I don't understand a lot about it.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,537 Enthusiast
    edited March 12

Absolutely 👍

Maybe even an on-screen Gizmo?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,561 Ambassador

@GrayMotion an on-screen gizmo would also work. My thoughts were based around trying to minimize interface clutter and thought a click+hold+drag on an icon would be enough. For a light we only need x/y rotation, no z.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,046 Ambassador

Thanks for the tag Mike. Hey dude, I'll tell you what... if you change your assumption about Fresnel being worthless from the camera POV. as a legitimate reason, just so we can get the moveable light feature... I'll upvote this. :)

My reasoning is this... I'm doing my own video on Hitfilm shaders. I'm sure you know what that means. :) If you would care to join me, I'd change your mind about Hitfilm fresnel from the Camera POV being worthless. Plus I have years of experience of actually building 3D models, specifically for these types of shaders. Let me know if you wanna join me in my video, I'm not waiting long though, maybe I'll even do it tonight. :)

You're a Filmer BETA tester so you should have seen this video by now. It shows why Fresnel from the Camera POV is awesome and it is what everyone has been missing in Hitfilm since day one, when it comes to 3D models. Also it is one of the tricks I use to create fake Path tracing in Hitfilm.

So yeah, the movable light feature request itself is a cool idea... just not your reasoning for it. I betcha 100 bucks the feature gets pushed through anyway. How do I know? Heh. :)

• Triem23

@spydurhank If you prove me wrong, then I'll learn a new thing. That's always a win. 😁 I'll come back to the video later, cuz I'm about to head out the door.

Counter-counter arguement - perhaps "worthless" was the wrong word choice, but, since fresnel is a function that relies on changing angle of incidence between light ray, object and observer, I think it would a lot easier to see what Fresnel is doing if one could move the lights in the viewer. :-)

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,046 Ambassador

@Triem23 Oh I'm not about proving or disproving anything or anyone. If I did that then I wouldn't be an Artist.

The Fresnel stuff I know from regular ole illustrating and painting. Fresnel is called something else in Art but not every artist uses it because they can only see art in 2D. I've been an artist since I was in Diapers... I know Fresnel and when you can illustrate and paint Fresnel in 2D... using it in a computer is cake made of the sweetest sugar because a good Artist naturally, already knows how to create realistic materials and how to light. The computer as an Art tool, simply brings a great artist to another level. Here's how I see it. :)

Me + Computer + Filmer + Hitfilm = GOD MODE. And that is a fact. I'm cocky as hell when it comes to my art. :)

Yeah, when you get to the video, all of my techniques and ideas are stupid dog simple. A child could do it because all you've gotta do is follow along like a "Color by Numbers" book.

And yeah, like I said... the feature request itself is really good but the ior in Hitfilm is just a 2D representation, it is a picture or texture using a gradient. You wouldn't get anything accurate out of it. So the feature itself is just another toy to play with and view materials. It's good because you'd see bad normals and or badly baked texture maps of every type.

FYI and I think pointing out an honest mistake is okay?... :)

The Metal and Gloss shaders do work correctly. I tried to nonchalantly tell you guys during the livestream but I didn't wanna step on your toes while you're doing your thing. :)

When you plugged a texture into... say for example, the Clearcoat texture slot, you couldn't see the textures having any effect and therefore assumed that the feature is outdated or incomplete and or just too new. Remember that you were using really small textures at 2K. That's why you couldn't see the effect taking place. I could see it on my end but I also think you were looking in the wrong direction. The Clearcoat does take effect over the entire material surface but is best visible at 32bits and at least 4K resolution in Hitfilm, that is how these types of shaders work. You can see the Clearcoat at the grazing angle of whatever surface your looking at. Think 15 to 30-ish degrees from the user perspective. Your textures need to be on point though. :)