Playback Quality (Fastest), Timeline delay.

dele_p_official
dele_p_official Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out
edited March 12 in HitFilm

Okay I found out that since hitfilm reduced the quality of my photos for overlay when I added it to the timeline i had to use the sharpen effect at the very least but I also recently found out that between the overlays on getting to the next one while my video was on playback there was delay in the video it wasn't as smooth and as quick as the normal video was. Fast forward.. I opened the full tab/panel just beneath the viewer went to Playback Quality changed it from final (initially it was on draft) to fastest and then I got a smoother playback (as how it was meant to be) but then my sharpened effects on the overlays were gone, and they told me "Effects disabled by quality profile" but when I pause it the effects show again and when I play the video they are gone. If I should change it back to final I will now have that delay again or lag.

Biko why is Hitfilm like this? Why are they frustrating all my efforts for growing my YouTube Channel? Why!? I spent money for the content creator package.

This is my Laptop spec for anyone who might want to ask:

Graphics in Use: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8130U CPU @ 2.20GHZ

Processor Speed: 2208 MHz

Physical Memory: 8101 MB.

Pls someone help 🙏🏽

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,338 Ambassador

Playback quality settings are meant to speed up interaction with the software while editing. They have no effect on rendered output.

• dele_p_official

They do have an effect.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,970 Ambassador

Not on rendered output.

As an example, "Fastest" Playback quality specifically disables all effects to speed playback. Since you're seeing effects "turn on" when paused that simply means your Paused quality setting is higher than Fastest.

This image will show you what is on/off by quality setting.

Yes, if you change your playback settings to Final you'll have lag. You don't have a dedicated GPU, and your UHD 620 is pretty near minimum spec. The UHD 620 benchmarks about 40% faster than the minimum spec HD 5000. For comparison, my RTX 2060m benchmarks about 1800% faster than your UHD 620. You have a slow system and will not have real-time playback with most effects.

• dele_p_official
    edited March 12

And the final output after exporting would it also be lagging?

Recap: I also did the sharpen effect cos Hitfilm reduced my picture quality on overlaying; it wasn't clear and intricate as the normal photo was.

So me purchasing Hitfilm Express content creator package was basically a waste; futile. Can I get my money back, a refund?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,970 Ambassador

Your initial post made it sound like the sharpening effects were disappearing on export.

OK, if by lag you mean stutter in playback, then it's time to ask about your source footage.

I'm going to make a guess here and say you shot on a phone or tablet or used a screen recorder. In all cases you likely have Variable Frame Rate (VFR) footage instead of Constant Frame Rate (CFR) footage. Here's what this means. Let's say you've recorded "30 fps." The frame per second count of CFR footage is a nice and steady 30,30,30, 30, etc. With VFR you might have 30, 20, 30, 32, 24, 15, 30, 8, 20, 30, etc (I've seen someone else in the last month with VFR footage shot at "29.97" fps that was varying betwen 32 and 0.5!). For media players this isn't an issue. They just stream frames. For ANY NLE VFR footage is a problem. If you've created a "30 fps" timeline then it means 30. The changing frame rate of VFR causes problems as the NLE tries to fit a non-30 number of frames into 30. VFR footage can cause audio synch issues on export and stuttering playback. This is NOT "Hitfilm's fault" as the same problems would occur with ANY NLE.

So, to verify if this is a VFR issue you'll need to download a program called MediaInfo (it's free), generate a "TREE" report and paste it here (I'm 99% sure this will be a VFR issue). If it IS a VFR issue, you'll have to use a third party app (like Handbrake, which is free) to transcode from VFR to CFR before import to Hitfilm. Since I'm 99% sure this will be a VFR issue I'll just link this video now.

19:33 in this video discussed MediaInfo. All the sections after that are on transcoding. The "Handbrake" section also has optimized settings for MP4 transcodes to produce files that respond quickly in Hitfilm.

Note if you shoot on phone or tablet, pretty much ALL phone/tablet footage is VFR. You'll always have to transcode. If it's a screen recording, you'll need to check to see if the screen recorder can force CFR output. OBS can, some others cannot.

For your existing video, once you transcode your footage, open your project in Hitfilm. In the media bin, right click each video file, select "Relink," then choose the transcoded version of the file. This will swap the files in the Hitfilm project and preserve MOST of your edit. I say MOST because the VFR is going to have caused Hitfilm to "guess" as it filled in frames, some some cuts will have "drifted" after replacing the VFR with CFR. In this case you'll use the "SLIP" editing tool to correct things. The SLIP tool shifts the frames used in a clip without shifting the in/out points, so this is exactly what you'll need.

Hitfilm always anti-aliases on Export. In the File>Options>Render options menu, or in the Project>Rendering settings look at antialiasing. If this is higher than 4xMSAA, turn it down to 4XMSAA. Otherwise, anti-aliasing cannot be totally disabled on export. There is a Feture Request thread to disable AA on Export you should go upvote:

Refunds are handled through Support.

• dele_p_official

Hi ok so first of all this is what mediaInfo showed me for the file 👇🏽

• Triem23

Variable Frame Rate. I don't think that's a true "Tree" report but that "30.304"frame rate is a giveaway. There's no video standard using that as a frame rate. Seeing non standard numbers is the clue there.

So, the Troubleshooting video linked above has your solutions.

• dele_p_official
    edited March 12

Ok but the person recommended mediainfo which was what you also recommended and from the screenshot you can see it was what mediaInfo gave me. What should I now do?

• Triem23

Skip to 23 minutes in the "Troubleshooting" video I linked in my first post which talks about using Handbrake to transcode and has optimized settings for Hitfilm. Then maybe keep going with the rest of the video which shows how to use other software like VLC to transcode. Although Handbrake will be fine. And it's free.

• dele_p_official

Ok thank you. I'll check that out. Any vital input/info on the reduced quality gripe i earlier mentioned?

• dele_p_official
    edited March 13

It didn't work? I successfully transcoded it with handbrake had the video saved to a location on my Laptop (it saved as .m4v) but it didn't seem to work. I right clicked on the former media file within the software, clicked on relink, it gave me option to open my file explorer (since it wasn't on the normal MP4 format I know, the video didn't first show so then I clicked on all file types for it to do so and then it showed where It was saved). I clicked on the transcoded file; opened it and it was doing something like loading for sometime, when it was through I just played back the video in the editor where it was lagging (delay, playback wasn't smooth) but to my surprise it behave exactly the same way it did before. I then even tried dragging only the video from the trimmer that is putting it directly on the former video file in the editor but that didn't seem to work as well. Of course I tried the relinking again, still the same thing.

Also I noticed that in the media bin after relinking, the Title or description of the file didn't change; the naming, to that of the transcoded one.

• dele_p_official
    edited March 13

Update: I eventually had to manually remove the video file from the editor and then replaced it with the transcoded one but the video was just lagging on the certain parts it was before: close to the effects.