Extreme loss of quality during editing and exporting

squirreljasmin
squirreljasmin Website User Posts: 7 Just Starting Out*

I have an extreme loss of image quality and resolution when putting an image into the editor sequence.

The quality loss is a bit brutal here in my case. Does anyone have some idea how to fix that? (Or at least the export, but I think the export uses the same settings as the editing sequence)

Screenshot (keep in mind, the rendered video looks exactly like the editor window here):

Edit:

Quicknote: the image resolution is 2480x40000 (yes no typo, 4 zeros)

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

Well. I guess the question is what's your GPU?

I seriously doubt Hitfilm is holding a 40k pixel tall image and is likely downsampling on input. You're going to have to break that massive image into smaller sections, import them and line them up and parent them to a control point.

The question is the size you'll need to break it to to minimize the number of sections. My guess is HF is maxing out somewhere around 4500 pixels of vertical resolution. I could be wrong, it might be about 8k or 16k, but I would be genuinely surprised if Hitfilm was ingesting a 40k pixel tall image without downsampling.

Mods/Ambassadors aren't FXHOME staff, so this is an educated guess.

Tagging in @TheBenNorris and @CedricBonnier for further input. They are devs and will have more technical knowledge than I.

• squirreljasmin
    edited March 9

@Triem23 I have a RTX 2080 Super, so I think my GPU should be able handle it. My CPU is a Intel Core i9-9900k btw.

And yes splitting it up to different images does work, but the problem is I am trying to animate i smoothly scrolling down. Which I fear will be a pain in the butt if I would have to split up. Or is there a way to group multiple images together and then do some animation magic? I am not afraid of workarounds to make it work tbh

Edit: Another Quicknote: I use the newest Hitfilm Express version, but with the like basic fx stuff package.

• squirreljasmin
    edited March 9

Okay I think I found a workaround, just mark all the other images (Imagine my images being lined up like papers and I want to be able to animate scrolling down). I just make paper2 a child of paper 1. Paper 3 a child of paper 2, etc. etc. And when I then animate the position and zoom, they all inherit it accordingly.

Do note: this is just a workaround which is a bit tedious, because you would still need to import all images manually and adjust their position and scale to fit, etc. (which in my case was 32 pages).

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

That's exactly what I suggested you do. 😉

Don't parent the pages to each other. Create a point layer and parent all the layers to that. Selecting all the pages and parenting them to the point in one shot is faster and you'll be able to lock all the page layers (so they can't be accidentally shifted) and animate the point.

As I said, Hitfilm just isn't going to load a 40k tall pixel image. In Express I think you're limited to a 2160 vertical resolution (but let's see what the devs say). In the long run you're better making a project with a different Composite Shot for each slice (say, 2k pixels tall - call them Pages 1-25), drag and align all these Comps into another Comp to align and parent, then save this project. Now you can use the "Import Composite Shot" function to bring this back in. Now you'll drag your page graphics into the proper Comps and will already be rigged for animation.

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,818 Staff

Unfortunately I think splitting the image up into parts is going to be necessary, a 40,000pixel image is quite a large one. At least the parenting method is there and should keep it all locked together.

• squirreljasmin

Yep, thank you again @Triem23 I think I'll later on try it with creating a point layer, I'm currently glad that it somewhat works, I am now just trying to figure out why the video (from what it looks like) looses quality and gets blurry (on parts that I don't put the blur effect on :/).

But still thank you both so much, it works now and I am really glad that there was a good and relatively easy solution for the problem.