VFX Artist - Magic Spell Effects Help

FarisAzri
FarisAzri Website User Posts: 4 Just Starting Out*

So, I wanted to make something like the Harry Potter spell effects but realize the one that came with VFX Artist only includes Atomic Particles and excluded Particle Simulator. So that was a disappointment. So I wonder if there's a way to do the flowing blue particles shown in VFX Artist trailer. Can't seem to find how to make it. Help?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

Well, I gotta admit, FXHOME cheated that video. The clip showing when Javert is discussing Atomic Particles is a Particle Sim effect.

But, you can do it with Atomic. Here's a very old tutorial that will show you how to generate the energy ribbons. I'm sure you'll be able to take it, add glow and run with it. 😁

Forum members can't delete their own threads, but, if you ever want to delete your own thread just leave a comment saying "Delete Me" or something. Or tag a Moderator/Ambassador. I deleted your other thread as requested. 👍

• FarisAzri

Thanks. That will help. I want to try to wrap this around my hand in the video. Hopefully I can make it happen.

Do you have a video or two for making the spell effects without particle simulator?

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,001 Ambassador

Can't think of any, but production crate just started a while assets section dedicated to spells, you might pick something up there.

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Website User Posts: 339 Enthusiast
  • Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,001 Ambassador
  • FarisAzri

Guess I gotta refund the Artist VFX to get the particle simulator. Don't have enough for both. Thanks for the help.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

I'm... Honestly not certain what to advice here.

The particle sim IS Hitfilm's single most powerful effect, but there are multiple ways to generate spell hits without it, including ProductionCrate stock or making your own.

The ProductionCrate shockwaves were probably made with the same techniques Sensei shows (which are similar techniques to an old VideoCopilot tutorial). Just the ProductionCrate guys spent an hour building up additional layers and colors rather than Sensei's five-minutes.

With the VFX Artist PWYW tier you're getting a MASSIVE amount of added functionality (16-bit color is a big deal) while the particle sim is, well, the particle sim.

Once you get into grading a particle effect you'll miss a lot of the other add ons.

• FarisAzri

I'm still pretty new with this. The other functions don't really fit my needs since I don't think I'll be able to make full use of them. I will be mostly making educational english videos.

Beautify would be pointless for me since I'll be using a mask (full face) all of the time. Not really sure what the starter Text gives me. The colour effects won't be that useful in my hand since I'll be recording in class mostly. I wouldn't know when I should be using colour grading and when the current classroom lighting would be enough. I won't be making lightsabers anytime soon. Maybe I should.

I think my problem is my limited creativity so all those nifty things won't be useful in my hands. In my mind, I'm thinking maybe just particle sim could be easy to use. Put some magic effects on my hands and then poof, words come out to show what I'm talking about.

• digitalbaruch
    digitalbaruch Website User Posts: 42 Enthusiast
    edited March 8

Until you can save up for the particle sim add on you can use the Boris fx particle illusion. It's free but not as good as hitfilm's

• FarisAzri

Don't you need Hitfilm Pro for this? I already downloaded Particle Illusion Standalone but can't find anything on Google to show me how to add the effects to Hitfilm Express.

• Triem23

"Maybe the particle system would just be easy to use?"

I snorted so hard at that I needed a tissue to clean my mustache.

In seriousness the particle sim is absolutely the most powerful effect in Hitfilm, but it's also the most complex tool by far. There's a massive learning curve on that.

As a side note the Text EFFECT is designed more for subtitles than a Text LAYER which is more useful for titles and callouts.

Other effects like Lightswords... Useful for all kinds of tasks drawing 3D lines like...

To a certain extent, learning how to creatively use effects does take time and experimentation, but others are highly useful utility effects. As another example, 3D Extrusion is amazingly useful for titles or even virtual sets. Projection is a way to create 3D virtual sets from 2D images, but can also be used to place 3D effects in 2D images, or even to remove elements from video footage (like removing people).

As I said, it's a tough call. Ultimately your decision.

Particle Illusion standalone would render its effects to a video file or image sequence. The output would be imported into Hitfilm like any video or image sequence for composting. There's a plug in version that renders directly in a host, but that would require Hitfilm Pro, and the plug in version of Particle Illusion is $300.

Atomic particles is capable of generating gorgeous organic energy effects.

Or stylish motion graphics.

• FarisAzri

Okay, I am convinced. XD Thanks. Guess I'll need to play around with everything first.

• digitalbaruch
    digitalbaruch Website User Posts: 42 Enthusiast

@Triem23 the particle simulator would be a great hitfilm university topic for a deep dive or basic understanding of it. If you've already done this could you point me in the right direction.

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Website User Posts: 339 Enthusiast

The particle simulator is probably what I've spent the most time trying to learn in hitfilm. I've run into some of it's limitations and I've also come up with some creative uses for it. I think it was either @Triem23 or @FilmSensei made a whole space battle scene out of the particle simulator. Creativity helps but if you want to make some magic blasts or impacts those are not very difficult to learn. And once you have the particle system set up you can save it as a 3D preset.