Retro Old Tv Set Intro

Hello All,
I had a question in regards to what I think is animation. Is there anyway to do something like this in Hitfilm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_4I3IT4jts 
I'd love to be able to create something like this but I have absoultely no idea how to do it. I am a new person to Hitfilm and dont know where to go or even how to do it. If anyone can help, I'd very much appreciate it.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador
    I tried looking at the linked video, but kept seeing "validation error" on the YouTube page. Can you double-check your link?
  • MrMcDowellMrMcDowell Website User Posts: 7
    Ive tried it on my end and it works. Heres the link again though
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_4I3IT4jts
    Heres the title for the video in case the link doesnt work "FREE Intro Template: Old TV Set #7"  its the first one thats 36 seconds long.
    Thank you for your help again! I only have express so Im a little limited in some areas but I'll use a external 3d animator. Thank You for the help!
    Wow it looks great! Thank You for all of your help and your example! It is very much appreciated.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited September 2014
    6 Fake some motion blurs (Never found anybody who actually got any kind of motion blur working in Hitfilm)

Nice, that clip looks good, but am I misunderstanding something? I use motion blur all the time in HF and it works great. You can turn on motion blur for embedded comps too. 

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    HitFilm has both 3D and 2D motion blur effects, both of which I also use successfully. Here is a tutorial on the 3D motion blur, which shows how the effect works:
    http://youtu.be/1pPgCo7dVZ4
    What sort of issue are you having with motion blur?
    In this clip I experiment with big motion blur specifically. The clip is not playing in slow motion, I used custom motion blur settings to create big long streaks that would make it look like the particles were spinning super fast. The key is to raise up the samples. The default is around 10 and I changed it to 40. That way the quality of the motion blur is maintained even when it makes long streaks.
    https://vimeo.com/95253869
    Yeah, I don't generally use the "motion blur effect". Its like the "difference key effect" in that you really have to have the right kind of shot for it to look good. Like in Axle's tutorial its used in a static shot where only the bass player is moving. In your clip example, I would have embedded the tv comp into another comp and then animated the embedded tv comp with the built in motion blur turned on. I definitely haven't had a lot of success with the "motion blur effect".  
    edited September 2014
    The way I use HFU is; I use the built in motion blur for everything I can. I think the actual purpose of the "motion blur effect" is to add motion blur into a video clip that does not have it. So, I thought I would play around for 10 minutes and see if I could get good motion blur into a video clip.
    http://youtu.be/-Fo7CRTqvYw
    It looks good to me. I think it could be used successfully in the right conditions.  
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador
    I don't think the "motion blur" effect is supposed to track objects moving through the comp space--I think the motion blur effect is designed to look at the motion of pixels WITHIN a layer/video object.
    Tooshka, I'm getting the same mess you were in your demo project where you're moving the plane around, but, if I apply a motion blur effect to a 2D video object, I get a useful look like Null got in his little test. This is why I speculate that the Motion Blur effect is intended to look at the pixel movement INSIDE the layer/object to which it is applies and not to that layer/object's motion within the larger 3D space of the composite shot. I think that's why there's the difference between the COMP MOTION BLUR (compute blur for objects moving in comp 3D space) and EFFECT MOTION BLUR (fake blur on pixels moving within a video object.)
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    You are correct, Triem23 - the 2D motion blur effect works on Optical Flow - it examines the contents of the layer looking for motion, then creates a directional blur in those areas that follows the motion.  It has nothing to do with animated movement of the layer's position; that is where you would use actual motion blur.