Keegan's Production MEGATHREAD!!

Comments

• Rowby
    Rowby Website User Posts: 58 Just Starting Out

Hee heee HO HO!!!

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2014

Awesome! I like Santa with the plastic bag beard.  

P.s. How is it that you didn't have a fake santa beard laying around, but you did have a blue blazer covered with stars?

• Keegan
    Keegan Website User Posts: 294 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2014

@NullUnit

Funny you should ask. The first "Mr. Claws" movie we did, I didnt realize the santa suit I bought didn't come with a beard until the day we shot it. So I ran inside and got a plastic Target bag and had him put it on. It was so hilariously sketchy looking, that we just kept it for the next year's Mr. Claws.  At this point, the Mr. Claws character and the plastic bag beard are so intertwined that there was no way we were going to get an actual beard this year.

There's just something hilarious about that "blatantly not Santa" look that fits perfectly with his character.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,251 Ambassador

Claws, you murdering bastard! 

• Keegan

Hey guys! I went hiking this past weekend and decided to take the ol' glidecam. This isn't anything too special but I thought I'd post it and see what you all think!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,251 Ambassador

Very nice. Gorgeous location, nice camera moves, and a touch of Warp Stabilizer FTW!

• Keegan

Last post for a while (Going into preproduction for an actual feature this spring!!!)

Here's my showreel for 2014. A huge thank-you to the Hitfilm team and community. I wouldn't be where I am without you. 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,084 Ambassador

Nice!  All the best on your upcoming feature.

• BobDiMarzio
    BobDiMarzio Website User Posts: 632 Just Starting Out
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador

The glidecam video is absolutely exquisite! I really should get some practice with mine (I built it but can't quite balance it). The location you shot at is beautiful. Nice place to do some filming. Some shots look like opening scenes to a movie. Liked the guy with the harp........and the last waterfall scene could have been a little longer. Awesome job!

Like the demo reel. I've seen everything in it before and you put it together very nicely. It held my attention anyway.  ;^)

• StephansBilderwelt
    StephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 523

Very nice. Always impressed by your work. 

• Keegan

Hey guys! Dropping in for a quick update! 

I've been officially chosen to co-direct a feature film with my friend, Buddy (Yes, that's his name!). It's called Unlucky and It's a comedy. That's about all I can say without violating my contract, but we are in the process of casting right now and I couldn't be more excited! I'll have some more info down the line, so stay tuned! This community, since the days of Effectslab and Visionlab, made me want to make movies and helped me hone my skills. I wouldn't have this opportunity if it wasn't for everyone here on the forums and at FXhome. If you're interested in following our production, our twitter is @Unlucky_Movie

Secondly, I've been a writer, DP, Director and Editor on a sketch comedy show called Amateur Hour. I usually write/direct one skit per episode, but I help out with everything. I'll post some of my skits below!

If you're into it, check us out at: amateurhourksu.com

As always, I love to hear your guys' criticisms and tips! 

• Triem23

I will check out the skits when I am on my computer. In the meantime, few things made you feel more "pro" than active non-disclosure agreements, amIright? 

• ZedFable
    ZedFable Website User Posts: 136

Keegan, your stuff is amazing. I know I’m late to the party but I finally got a chance to watch most of the stuff here and I have to say, the line “I am all kinds of confused” made my day. 

Your compositing is so clearly incredible it almost goes with out saying, but seriously good job. What really brings your content over the top for me though is your pacing and sense of timing, both in your humor and action scenes. No surprise to see you starting to do some pro stuff- good luck! Can't wait to see it!

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador
    edited March 2015

Keegan - Much like McDonalds, only referring to your vids, I'm lovin' it!

Pizza boarding. lol I think that would actually work! The guy licking the crust was over the top and had me rotfl. As a pizza delivery driver my hat is off to you for picking pizza for your mode of torture.

Poor Johnny. He burned himself out on one commercial! $3.00 value. lololol And on VHS no less. Hilarious! Like the rhyming scheme he got into.

Funyuns! I love Funyuns! Was that an official KSU Florence t-shirt? The "high" priest certainly was!

Great productions and very pro looking! Keep up the great work! It's no wonder you are where you are!

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,084 Ambassador
    edited March 2015

Johnny takes the cake!

• KeeganLarwin
    KeeganLarwin Website User Posts: 10

Thanks everyone! Johhny Quaaludes is a favorite among our network as well. Though the execs weren't very amused 

@Triem23 - Totally! I've signed so much paperwork at this point, there's a good chance they own my soul. Makes me feel super important, though! :)

@ZedFable - Thanks man! While I wouldn't consider myself pro, I'm super thankful for all of these projects I've been allowed to work on. Though I miss sleep. I pulled a 48 hour day this weekend and it was harrowing!

@StormyKnight - I wrote pizza torture because I am that kid who always has pizza on his mind. One day I was like: "Someone could totally get government secrets out of me using pizza." Blammo, this sketch was born. Watching the actors eat pizza for an hour made me so hungry that I bought a pizza on my ride home and ate THE WHOLE THING. Not one of my proudest moments!

Here's a small update:
    Movie is going well! We're neck-deep in the casting process and it's been a lot of fun but also an insane amount of work. Hopefully I will have some more info to share in the coming months. 

TV show is still chugging along nicely! Once I get a few more skits aired, I'll post them here in bulk as to not clog up the forums! It's been great hearing from you all! Can't wait to see what everyone does next! 

• StormyKnight

" Not one of my proudest moments!"

I can totally relate! What's tough for me is if I get an overwhelming craving for pizza and someone has say.......a deep dish pepperoni, bacon and chicken pizza that they are sharing...........I'm never satisfied until I have a cheese and sausage thin crust, at the very least, the next day. Fortunately, I don't care for the food where I work part time, I'm pretty tired of it. I don't always have the $ to order from somewhere else but a cheap frozen pizza works sometimes. lol

Keep up the great work and looking forward to more of your sketches. Keep us posted!

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

For some reason I only just caught up with this topic. Which is foolish of me.

That showreel is really great, Keegan - one shot in particular caught my eye, which was the shot of a guy jumping into frame from above shot, complete with whizzy particles, and a couple of characters standing in the background. Very nicely done, to the point where I wasn't sure how you'd done it - there's a few ways it could be done, what techniques did you actually use?

Also, congrats on your current projects. They all sound very exciting - do keep us updated when you can.

• Triem23

Keegan, I didn't remember the particular shot Simon mentioned, so I rewatched the reel, but folks here are sleeping, so audio was off, and I must say, I think more people should do that. 

Digression: Chapman University film school required all incoming students to take "Intro to Visual Storytelling." Make four shorts, rules: Black and white; no dialog; music must be practical, motivated within the scene; no death-as-resolution. 

While my fellow students grumble, I am the wise guy who will ask why the rules were there. Good answers!

No death-as-resolution was because "you can't generate enough sympathy in five minutes to make the death have meaning."

No dialog was because of "Show, don't tell," taken to the extreme. The class was, after all,  VISUAL Storytelling. 

The music rule is the killer: It's very easy to lead mood with someone else's music.

Back to Keegan's reel.  Without the music pulling you through it's even more compelling because you can just focus on the editing and visuals.

It's gorgeous! The cuts are smooth, nothing jars, shots are composed beautifully with nice manipulation of depth, space and angles. Color is where I really love your look--your "three color palette" is a nice yellow, green, purple (thank you for not going teal, orange and green) and you really cut this reel with a great flow of warm to cool. You're an artist, and this reel should get you work. Bottom line.  

• Keegan

Wow, thanks guys! 

@SimonKJones - For that shot I used a very rough projection map. I say rough because I didn't  realize how hard people/pipes would be to recreate with masks in 3D. If you look closely, nothing behind the falling guy changes focus as I dolly in. It was really rough, but I covered it up with particles, flashes and a whole lot of displacement!

@Triem23 - That's some sound advice! And thank you for your kind words! I write all the music in my stuff, so I try to use that to influence the color and flow of my editing. Many times the music comes first because that's what birth's the image or rhythm/pace in my mind. It's kind of bizarre and my friends make fun of me for it, but I'm glad you appreciated it!!!

More updates on the feature coming soon! We have our cast and crew! Expect some more Comedy shorts as well! 

• Keegan

CONTENT DUMP TIME!

These skits are from March. I'm pretty excited for the April ones! :D

Parking Wars was a sort of retaliation against the ruthless parking services at our university. They are notorious for their relentlessness, so we decided to pay our fellow students a much-needed tribute. 

Easily my least favorite skit that I've ever done. The idea and script were weak and none of the jokes really hit. You can tell my heart wasn't in this one.

This one isn't bad, but I feel like I made some poor directing choices. The pace and rhythm of the skit is just...off. I think I could have improved the overall writing as well. It feels very flat. The VFX at the end were a blast, though!

Let me know what you think!

• tehri
    tehri Website User Posts: 2

Thx mate for this  Children's hospital clip !!! bring me tears and emotional feeling... you're a good buddy, thx for the joy !!

(°v°)

• Keegan
    edited April 2015

Only 3 episodes left! Here's my skit from last week's episode!

No real VFX necessary except for some stabilization and noise removal. I think the main focus on this one was the score, which had to follow each beat perfectly. Let me know what you think! :)

• StephansBilderwelt
    StephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 523

I like it. Sometimes it does not need VFX.

• Keegan

Thanks, man!

Here's the one from last week! We're on our last episode! :)

• Keegan

Alright guys, the season finale has come and gone and my time on Amateur Hour has come to a close. It was a ton of fun and I can't wait to see what we all do next. Here is the final skit that I had been planning for probably 6 months. Feels so good to see it come to fruition!

• Keegan

I've never actually done a Star Wars video, so I figured now is the time! Also, The GoPro Hero 3+ has such terrible rolling shutter that motion tracking is nearly impossible if the camera is shaking at all. As a result, most of this short is hand-tracked. And let me tell you, that was a nightmare.

Last video for a few months. Directing a feature film is no small task. If you guys want to stay updated, I believe the BTS crew will be uploading videos here! Until then, keep shooting! :)

• Triem23

What, tracking by hand, with massive barrel distortion isn't fun? 

That's a lot of fun. The bit where the Jedi force-rips the TIE in half isn't hitting as well as the rest of the sequence, but the Star Destroyers at the end look particularly good, and the heat distortion off the blue saber is a very nice touch! Tracking is solid--better than it should be for eyeball! 

For reference, both NewBlue and Boris have rolling shutter correction effects. Boris is host-specific and won't interface with Hitfilm (but you have AE, right?) NewBlue is OFX, and most NewBlue will run in Hitfilm--although not officially supported. 

Have fun on your feature. That's exponentially tougher than a short! 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

To add to @Triem23 the Vegas stabilize media effect has a rolling shutter correction option and rumor has it the code is licensed from ProDAD's Mercalli. On the free front There's Deshaker for VirtualDub. The settings for a GoPro Hero 3 + are 88.89% for Wide FOV and 86.05% for Narrow FOV.