DaVinci Resolve as an Editor

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
Has anyone started using Davinci Resolve 11 as their editor? I have the full license and I am trying to learn their editor and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it and recommendations on materials to learn it.  I am coming from the Sony Vegas world and if I can learn resolve as an editor I can have a 1 stop shop for a majority of my projects.  I am hoping FXhome eventually brings Hitfilm plugins to Resolve or allows for interoperability between hitfilm and resolve because well Resolve has a free version which is powerful.  I could then use the color correcting tools I want seamlessly with the vfx software I want.
Anyways, yes I know I could just youtube or vimeo random videos but I was hoping for a more focused and experienced approach.  So if you know any good videos or resources... please post.

Comments

• jonesbrosjonesbros Website User Posts: 54
    Me and my brother used Resolve to edit our latest video due to issues with Hitfilm importing media. It works very well as an editor, and is fairly easy to get accustomed to if you are familiar with other editing software. I would recommend looking through the Resolve manual. It is very detailed and well written.
  • 3dmus3dmus Website User Posts: 117
    I started playing around with it a bit. At first I had some issues getting my GPU recognised, but got that fixed. Also, it seems to really help to close down other programs that take up GPU memory (in my case photoshop). I had some issues with performance the first time I played with it (dropping frames when trying to do a dissolve).... but tried it again just now and it seems smooth.....
    So...will play with it some more as it's quite slick!
  • HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    I've been toying with the idea myself, as I'm finding myself pretty comfortable in all the other parts of Resolve and the editor is the one I've not really done much in.
  • KeeganKeegan Website User Posts: 294 Just Starting Out
    I've been using it in order to teach some friends who wanted a zero-cost editing platform and I find it very intuitive. The interface is very pretty and it feels natural.
    My main issue is I can barely ever export without getting a plethora of errors and failed renders. After looking online, it seems like people with Nvidia cards on Windows 64-bit systems are having all kinds of issues that the Resolve team hasn't addressed as of yet. My friend runs it on his old Macbook Pro without error, so if you have a mac, It might actually be a nice editing alternative!
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    I have a GTX 780 SC on a WIndows 64bit system and have always found resolve to be super stable.  Even on the GTX 580 SC that I use to own.  I am curious what NVidia card you have and your other system specs.
  • KeeganKeegan Website User Posts: 294 Just Starting Out
    Hmmm. I'm running on an Nvidia GTX 670 with an i7 intel processor and 16GB RAM. My friend has the GTX 750 Ti (I think?). We get constant errors with QTDecoder on export. I usually have to render out my color grades in 7-clip chunks to keep it from crashing xD
  • HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    Running Win7 64-bit with a GTX 570, i7 3770 and 16GB RAM, haven't had any exporting issue so far here.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador
    Mere speculation here, but what's the length of the projects you guys are rendering? Since QT for Windows is still 32-bit,I am wondering if Keegs is exceeding the 4GB limit.