Export taking 2 days 1 hour for 2 hour video?

rashawnmccraney
rashawnmccraney Website User Posts: 8 Just Starting Out

I've been reading a lot about export times to try and figure out what could help, seems like a lot of what people are saying is that you need to have a separate disk for Hitfilm to read on and one for it to write on. But, generally long export times seem to be the norm. But, this seems a little excessive.

I made a 2 hour long gameplay video. Simple edits, I added a video ontop of the gameplay (video of me playing the game) and that is literally it, I didn't add any special effects. Video is at 1920x1080p.

Should I really expect to wait over 2 days for this video to export? I left it on overnight thinking 8 hours would be long enough, but it says there is 1 day, 13 hours remaining.

Here are my computer specs:

Processor: Intel Core i3-9100F CPU @ 3.600GHz

Ram: 16GB

Graphics: AMD Radeon Rx 570 4GB

Not sure if any other specs are needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really can't wait 2 days for this or future videos like it to export.

Tagged:

Comments

• rashawnmccraney

I also forgot to mention I am using a 500GB SSD card.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,417 Ambassador

Let me verify a couple of things.

I'm guessing you have a single screen capture video that is over two hours long, probably between 6 and 10 GB in file size?

You have a second, full-screen video of yourself playing... Shot with a Webcam? Something else? Maybe another 6 to 10 GB file?

You brought the files directly into Hitfilm without checking for VFR, transcoding to a more optimized format, or breaking your two hour videos into smaller segments?

Then you made trims in the middle segments of these huge videos?

• rashawnmccraney

That sounds about right. I did convert the videos in Handbrake (3 out of 4 of them, the biggest one wasn’t converted) because they were originally .mov files so i converted them to mp4 files. However the largest file (the gameplay i recorded in Obs) was not compressed.

I can see how compressing the videos before editing in Hitfilm can make a huge difference. What else can I do in the future to make this process as fast as possible? Should I compress all files (images, sounds etc) before editing?

I need to learn from more knowledgeable people like you, so any information you can give me will really help!