Easy Ease

PhilNolanPhilNolan Website User Posts: 70
edited September 2014 in Post-production techniques
Hello all, I was wondering if there's a way to smooth out key frames like with Easy Ease in AfterFX or adjusting Curve Tension in LightWave.  Some of the motions I'm making have rather abrupt movements at the keys and it would be much nicer if I could smooth it out.  Thanks
Edit: OK I see I can do it with a right click in a composite shot, but not when editing. I think I can work around that.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,313 Ambassador
    Phil, Hitfilm does have it's built-in interpolation curves, which aren't as flexible as a full bezier edit, but it does help.
    You might need to play around a bit--in this thread: http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/5382-triem-23s-templates-tutorials-and-projects/page-1  There's a tool I created for myself to help me visualize the way Hitfilm's interpolation curves work together. Basically I made a particle sim who's emitter is parent-chained to two points--one controlling the X-axis movement of the emitter, the other controlling the Y-axis movement. Changing the individual keyframe types of each axis generated a 2D plot of how the interpolation curve is moving. That tool file has a diagonal line in the grid representing "linear" for reference.
    Another thing I often do in Hitfilm is chain two or three points together. I may have an object parented to, say, a "Move X" point, which I parented to a "Move Y" point, which, in turn, is parented to a "Move Z" point (Kind of think of it like a 3D Etch-A-Sketch, right? The two knobs on the Etch-A-Sketch are independent X/Y axis movement.) It's more complicated to set up motion that way, but, with practice, you can get much smoother and natural motion this way. Especially since you can offset each axis of movement--by using multiple points to animate, say, a plane climbing and banking, I can use a single point to generate the plane's "forward" motion, and a second point to "pull" the plane up and to the side as it climbs and banks, allowing the plane to veer without messing up it's forward velocity.
    Final note: ALL my cameras are rigged to multiple points: Since Hitfilm always does it's Euler rotations in order X/Y/Z, it's often tricky to get a Hitfilm camera to pan/tilt like a real camera. My cameras are always parented to a "X-Tilt" point (located a little behind and below the camera--like where the tilt on a tripod head is). "X-tilt" is parented to "Y-Pan," and "Y-Pan" is parented to my "Dolly Point." By rigging my camera this way it behaves like a physical camera on a tripod, so I can tilt up and pan right and the camera will behave as I expect. Trying to tilt up and pan right with the camera directly is going to skew things, requiring a Z-rotation to fix the horizon.
  • PhilNolanPhilNolan Website User Posts: 70
    Wow that sound very complicated. I'm really just doing simple things l;ike animating a photo across the screen or changing volume levels in a clip.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,313 Ambassador
    It takes some getting used to, and, for a simple photo across screen, probably overkill. FOr more complex animations, it's the way to get smooth motion. :-)
  • GKDantasGKDantas Website User Posts: 133
    Only the curves with the right click in the frame doenst help?
  • GKDantasGKDantas Website User Posts: 133
  • JohnA222JohnA222 Website User Posts: 35

If you were sitting in the front seat of a car and had to climb over the back seat and use the rear doors to get out, would you tolerate such a thing when all the other car models can do this with merely one button push?? Or course not. Would you even consider buying such a car?? As such, the lack of a truly smooth keyframe interpolation option is a deal-breaker for most professional post-production houses (as well as for me). In my opinion, this fundamental feature needs to be added to make this product professionally viable.
    Peter

• NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited September 2014
    Wow that sound very complicated. I'm really just doing simple things l;ike animating a photo across the screen or changing volume levels in a clip.

In that case, as you said, you can use the different interpolations by right clicking.
    I think the keyframe options in HF work well. Yes, the methods to acheive some movements are different from  how other software do it, but I dont see that as a problem. Not all software works the same. I would like to see adjustable keyframes too, but I'll tell you that in my opinion, the way HF does keyframes is a billion times better than how Vegas implements keyframes.
    P.s. I use this product in a professional capacity and it works great for me.

edited September 2014

In that case, as you said, you can use the different interpolations by right clicking.
    I think the keyframe options in HF work well. Yes, the methods to acheive some movements are different from how other software do it, but I dont see that as a problem. Not all software works the same. I would like to see adjustable keyframes too, but I'll tell you that in my opinion, the way HF does keyframes is a billion times better than how Vegas implements keyframes.
    How so? Vegas has more interpolation types than Hitfilm, both programs set interpolation type via right-click. Yes, Vegas doesn't twirl open all track settings (but neither does Premiere, FCP or Avid. Twirling open layer settings in the layer stack is compositor behavior, not NLE). BUT keyframes in Vegas DO appear as small diamonds under a track... You can move the position of a keyframe and change its interpolation type without having to go into the FX panel.
    That said, bezier keyframes have been something I have written and wishlisted at Sony since Vegas 6.
    Incidentally, did you know you can do adjustment/grade layers in Vegas? It's undocumented, but you can do it.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    I just hate the logic behind how Vegas set up their key framing. When you turn on keyframes, you are turning on keyframing for everything. So, any adjustment you make to any setting will be recorded as animation. This method begs for accidental animations to be added in. To me, its the opposite of intuitive. I think the way HF does it makes more sense and is far more intuitive.
    edited September 2014
    Which version of Vegas are you on? I ask as Vegas had that "Global Keyframe" action in older versions, but starting with v.10 Keyframes are now "Per-Parameter." If you're still on a sub-v.10 Vegas, you should upgrade.