How to make still images not look like a slide show

mrjagmods
mrjagmods Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

HI,

I've opened myself up to helping a buddy of mine produce a YouTube video from a bunch of still images.

Background

My goal is to use the still images into some flashy disassemble and reassemble of an Jaguar V12 engine video.

The photos are loosely (very loosely) taken from the same angle and position; so the images can be overlaid one on top of the other to look as if the bits are disappearing one by one.

My first edit comprised of (a series of composite shots) stacking the images and pealing the layers one at a time. end result - slide show. Not exactly the look I'm going for.

I tried creating 3D planes and shuffling the camera around. It didn't work like I was expecting. Either I'm not doing it right, or it isn't going to work.

Topic of this post - My Point

What are some compositing transitions I should look into to?

or Any tips on how to turn a series of still images into something worth watching?

Thank you in advance

Mark

Comments

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Website User Posts: 386 Enthusiast

Hmmmmmmmmmmm this technique is pretty cool, especially the last one

• mrjagmods
    mrjagmods Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Thank you

I will check it out. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my request

mark

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,064 Moderator

@mrjagmods One thing I feel keeps a slide show from looking like one is using creative key framing to add movement to the images on screen. Not resizing the image to the frame and leaving it oversized allows you to slide sideways and slowly back out the camera to fill the screen with the whole image which can be used to add emphasis to people or parts of the image and other tricks like that.

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Website User Posts: 562 Enthusiast

These tutorials may be what you are talking about. The template is included in at least one and is modifiable to get your specific needs.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,338 Ambassador

Those are really nice tutorials. But something even simpler is to line up your images on the timeline. Stretch or shorten them to get the timing you want. Then set up moves on each image by setting keyframes for Position and Scale at the beginning and end of each image - so they are now animated. Then drop a CrossDissolve effect on the boundary between each image and - voila! You have a "Ken Burns" style move on all your images that fades from one to the next.

As in the tutorials above you may want to add a background and perhaps a border to the images which would be icing on the cake. But suggest you do some simple tests with just 2 or 3 images first to get your workflow down.