How To Maintain The Correct Order Of An Imported Image Sequence?

markwmarkw Website User Posts: 13
Hello to you all!
My first post here and I'm hopping someone can help me with how to import a sequence of image files so that they retain their correct running order once in HitFilm2 Express.
No matter what numbering convention I use for my images when exporting from my animation software, when it comes to importing them into HitFilm2 Express they get messed up.
In the screenshots I have imported 140 separate frames as a group, numbered 0 to 140 but as you can see that's not how they arrived!
The same happens when choosing 'Import Image Sequence…' (which would be my normal workflow but that's harder to show in a screenshot! but affectively the frame order is messed up in the same way when it plays).
The problem seems to be that HitFilme is confused as to where to put every tenth frame.
No other editing software I have used has this problem when counting and ordering image sequences, is there some hidden trick for doing this in HitFilm? or is it a bug perhaps?
Platform:
MacBook Pro
OS 10.8.5
2core i7 2.6GHz
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Comments

• MarcinMarcin Website User Posts: 132 Just Starting Out
    edited September 2014
    Try add leading zeroes to the frame numbers and pictures will be imported in a correct order.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador
    What Marcin said, with examples: 001, 010.
  • markwmarkw Website User Posts: 13
    Thank you all for your speedy reply's. Much appreciated!
    I've tried adding leading 0's when setting up the export from the animation software but still no joy.
    It's when one of those leading 0's has to turn into a number that problems occure.
    The rendering software won't count off leading 0's as it churns away, so if I tell the rendering software to start with 00 added to the first frame, i.e. frame 0, then that first frame will be rendered as frame 000 the next would be 001, 002, 003 etc… and it will always add those extra two 0's that I told it to add.
    So when it gets to frame 10 it will be numbered 0010, NOT 010.
    The only way for me to do that is to renumber frames by hand but that's really not practical when dealing with hundreds, indeed thousands of frames.
    As I say HitFilm is the only editor that I have used that has this problem in correctly reading in a logical number sequence like this.
    I can import the same sequence of frames into a very basic editor such as the old Quicktime7 Pro, and it dose it first time, in perfect order.
    This in fact is my workaround at the moment;
    Import image sequence into Quicktime, export from Quicktime as a video file, import said video to HitFilm 2 Express. But this dose add more steps than should really be needed and involves extra format conversions of the original images that I would rather avoid.
    Once again thank you all for your reply's.
  • MarcinMarcin Website User Posts: 132 Just Starting Out
    On the other hand, I'm quite surprized that a software cannot handle the "leading zeroes" scenario correctly.
    I would like to have frames sorted correctly also in the operating system.
  • markwmarkw Website User Posts: 13
    edited September 2014
    Yes I was surprised too Marcin!
    So imagine my even bigger surprise, after doing some further digging/talking with others to find that I can in fact get the renderer to output frames counting off the leading 0's!
    So I must apologise here for my earlier assertion on that, though at the time made in all good faith. :blush:
    My workflow now to get sequences into HitFilm, following your advise above, will be I think to set my first frame in the renderer to have as many 0's as there are tens, hundred, or thousands of frames. i.e. if I'm rendering 3,500 frames, to set frame 0 as 0000 or if I'm starting from say frame 810 it would be 0810.
    I've just been trying this and so far so good.
    A most satisfying conclusion to a frustrating afternoon!
    I still think the image sequence import in HitFilm2 could be made more robust/flexible regarding numbering. As I said earlier it is the only editor I've used that is quite this fussy about frame numbers.
    Again, thank you all for your time.
  • AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,447 Staff
    Yes I was surprised too Marcin!
    So imagine my even bigger surprise, after doing some further digging/talking with others to find that I can in fact get the renderer to output frames counting off the leading 0's!
    So I must apologise here for my earlier assertion on that, though at the time made in all good faith. :blush:
    My workflow now to get sequences into HitFilm, following your advise above, will be I think to set my first frame in the renderer to have as many 0's as there are tens, hundred, or thousands of frames. i.e. if I'm rendering 3,500 frames, to set frame 0 as 0000 or if I'm starting from say frame 810 it would be 0810.
    I've just been trying this and so far so good.
    A most satisfying conclusion to a frustrating afternoon!
    I still think the image sequence import in HitFilm2 could be made more robust/flexible regarding numbering. As I said earlier it is the only editor I've used that is quite this fussy about frame numbers.
    Again, thank you all for your time.

Hi,
    Sorry you've been having problems when importing your image sequences.
    This issue has been logged & the Media handler is something we are looking to update due to the problems raised above.
    Many Thanks,
    Ady