Fire shadows on background image of band

Randyrhoads3
Randyrhoads3 Posts: 54 Just Starting Out*
edited February 2021 in Post-production techniques

I have been trying to figure this out looking at tutorials, etc.

I have a background image of a band. I have text. I have a plane that I used to make a small circle mask to add a fire layer. I am trying to get the flames to cast shadows on the band image. Like they are actually standing in front of the fire layer. So far no go. I have everything in 3d. Open ears here. Thank you for help.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,689 Ambassador

You're trying to cast shadows of the text onto the band? Or just trying to create the look of shifting light on the band?

The Fire generator is not a light source. It just draws the image of the fire.

To cast shadows you'll need a 3D light layer set up to cast shadows. The text will need to be set up to cast shadows. The band will need to be set up to receive shadows. For the image/video/text layers this is the Material settings in the Layer's controls. You'll need to set the light's color to orange and you'll have to animate the intensity of the light to flicker.

If you just want the light flickering on the band, there are a dozen ways to go about it, but all of them involve masking the affected areas. Flicker should be kept in mind. You could (for example) add an orange plane in add or screen blend mode, mask to fit, drop transparency, then add the Flicker effect. You could add a Grade Layer, mask to fit, add a Curves effect to brighten and tint the band... Then add a flicker effect. You could use a masked Grade with a Hue/Saturation, Color Correct Wheels, Levels Histogram or Gamma effect - any/all of which can create the bright orange light... And then add the flicker effect.

Masking and flicker are gonna be used.

• Randyrhoads3
    Randyrhoads3 Posts: 54 Just Starting Out*
    edited February 2021

Thank you @Triem23 . Yes just on the band. I will give the above a try. Again thank you!!

Update? Worked like a charm!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,689 Ambassador