MKV files

LIFE_LEADERSHIP
LIFE_LEADERSHIP Website User Posts: 257 Enthusiast

Good morning,

Question for my fellow Hitfilm gurus. I have an MKV file that I have tried to import and use but it says file is not supported. Its a huge file. Are MKV files not supported? I have tried many different ways to convert this file to mp4 or mov but it is not cooperating. ( including the vlc player and 2 other programs. It does work on After Effects so i know the file is good)

If Hitfilm does not support mkv files, is that something worth considering if possible in future updates?

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,682 Moderator

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP As far as I know, MKV is not supported by Hitfilm. I use XMedia Recode to convert my MKV to MP4.

• LIFE_LEADERSHIP

Thanks for the response! Maybe that is something worth looking into for Hitfilm.. Its not a huge deal but would be a nice bonus.

Ill try xmedia recode.. thanks..

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,091 Ambassador

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP You can also use OBS Studio to convert mkv to mp4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bd8j47O4M4

I'm not in front of my edit box at the moment, but I believe mkv is Variable Frame Rate and would need to be transcoded to Constant Frame Rate anyway to be useful in most editing packages including HF.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador
    edited February 16

@Stargazer54 a rare mis-fire from you, Lynn!

MKV is a container, not a codec. Mkv can hold a range of codecs.

Mkv was designed well, but doesn't enjoy wide support. VLC is, to my knowledge, just about the only thing that supports MKV out of the box. Windows Media sure doesn't.

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP Ben, you'll need to transcode. Not on my comp to check, but I'm not sure if Handbrake reads MKV. However VLC can do the transcode.

Ok, while looking for the VLC directions I've found Handbrake will convert MKV as well. If you have Handbrake, standard "NormanAVC" will work.

Edit: Duh, xmedia recode. Pay attention, me!

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,091 Ambassador

@Triem23 Yeah, I wasn't at my editing system to double check with MediaInfo, but the mkv files I get out of OBS Studio are indeed CFR. So yeah, egg on the face - but as you noted mkv is not widely supported.

• LIFE_LEADERSHIP

Gents,

Thanks for the input. .. xmedia recode worked great!

Stay tuned for my up coming award ceremony video that this year, we're doing a Star Trek theme vs Star Wars theme..

There's going to be face replacements, green screen footage, beam out effects and some good ol hitfilm compositing and editing...

Name of the ceremony this year is STAR REALTOR- The Wrath of RE/MAX Prime Properties

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

Ben, looking forward to it.

So... Does your company have you doing their video ads and TV spots yet? If I were your boss (and not a video guy myself) I'd be paying you big bonuses for some side work.

• LIFE_LEADERSHIP

Hahaha,

Well, working for a great Broker at RE/MAX , I've not considered asking for compensation; rather, it's mostly for fun and it gives me the creative outlet and freedom to make a difference. I wouldn't be opposed to making money doing what I enjoy though. I do make lots of videos for my own business that help me advertise homes for sale.. here's an example of a movie type preview of a home i just sold. https://youtu.be/d74oMD-I_rM

• Stargazer54

Ben, that video is awesome! Nice work.

Posting the link again as it was text in your post

• LIFE_LEADERSHIP

Yeah I saw that...

I copied and pasted link on my phone... I'll have to try it again

• LIFE_LEADERSHIP

Oh you did it already.. thanks!

• tddavis

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP 🀣Your keyboard went had a stroke, and I deleted the duplicates. Also, I have found that I have to hit enter at the end of pasted link to get it to switch to the thumbnail. Might be something to try.

• LIFE_LEADERSHIP

Yeah, thanks. Lol. I was on my phone and it went bonkers... Probably the reason why the link I posted didn't turn into a clickable link. πŸ€™

• Triem23

Ben, at the bottom of a Text entry box when writing comments is an icon - a "box" with "> <" inside. Click this and post your link in the pop up field. This always creates a link, phone and PC.

• LIFE_LEADERSHIP
    edited March 4

ALRLIGHT GENTS... HERE IS THE AWARD CEREMONY LOOSLEY BASED ON STAR TREK ( FIRST CONTACT)

still tweaking it but heres what i got so far

As a disclaimer.... had a malfunction of a day with equipment and a poor spot to film .. I got what i could out of my busy Broker and office manager ... Did my best based on what i had to work with. Its got some borrowed footage from Star Trek First Contact and Nemesis but the entire spot was done in Hitfilm with multiple layers and a bunch of compositing... Learned a lot, even at this stage since this became a complicated process... Always good to learn!

This will be shown in front of 50 agents... It plays out like a movie in the movie theatre....... We did Star Wars last year, so this year my Broker wanted a Star Trek theme....

My broker is from Manchester by the way......

Thanks guys...

Ben

https://youtu.be/CI_V8FAWDzc

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,854 Ambassador

@LIFE_LEADERSHIP That was great! Really nice match moving.

• Triem23

I'm sure the office will love it. That's a lot of fun.

"Pick me up at 7!" Hah!

• LIFE_LEADERSHIP

Spent the entire day shortening The opening, adding cgi uniform to my broker, cleaning up the sound, adding a few more cut scenes/filler scenes and lots of other goodies. I'm going to continue to tweak it until my deadline on March 10th.

Live and learn. My intent was to get better quality video footage but it was a comedy of errors and timing. I also wanted to get the picard uniform in the mail for my broker to wear.. only one you can get in usa is from China. It never arrived. So I had to go old school and spend hours masking and roto scoping..

When I'm done, I'll share the final product so you can compare the two .. I also ran into some interesting struggles I'm going to post for advice on future projects.

the two.

• tddavis

Well, the thumbnails show the head replacement looking really good...of course the true test of the pudding is when it's in motion😁 but I think it will be great.

• Triem23

Wow. Dedication.

They don't pay you enough. πŸ˜‰

• LIFE_LEADERSHIP
    edited March 9

Here's the final product..

I have a lot of questions that I'll post later regarding this project and ask for your expertise and recommodations on how I could of handled some issues better. I'll post them soon. After all these years of using hits film I still learn something everyday. And there are tons of effects that I still have yet to master.

It did not come out perfect but my broker loved it . I guess I'm a recovering perfectionist..

What made this project harder was the equipment malfunction, lack of proper facilities to film, broker wearing a shirt with a collar that, no matter how much I worked at it, was labor intensive to mask and issues with sound quality during filming. Also, had no quality starship bridge shots. I had to build a bridge using a 3d video I found, then added the bridge panels that lit up so it looked animated, then color graded it.. ultimately, I used actual footage from the movie but the highest quality film I had in mkv, lost quality when converting to mp4.

Anyway, that's what makes the product below more special, which is what in learned and had to improvise on to meet the deadline..

One interesting glitch I found, which I've never seen before in hitfilm was at the end, when I rendered a composition and went to find the source after it finished the directory couldn't find it and kept producing an error when I asked to reveal source location. I restarted a couple of times still had the problem...

anyway here's the video below and I'll be sharing some questions and hopes and for your feedback on the next post. ,πŸ™‚

• Stargazer54

Great job tracking your boss into a starfleet uniform. Will have to start calling you "Scotty". You're a miracle worker!

(and as stated before . . . they're not paying you enough) πŸ˜‰

• LIFE_LEADERSHIP

Thank you! You'll laugh but I rendered 2 more times.. I'm a recovering perfectionist I guess..πŸ˜€ This is priemering today at 12pm usa est

So, interesting issue.. the last few days of rendering and I kept getting an error when I went to reveal output source from the render window.. got a big exclamation point that kept saying can't reveal output destination...I could find it on my desktop but hitfilm kept producing this error.. Any idea?

Also, my broker wore a white collar and i spent hours masking it out then adding the uniform. Was there anything I could do to change the color of the collar.. I tried everything in the color correction effects. I did my best to track him then add uniform but he kept moving so much, a part of the collar kept showing up.

I was having a brain lapse, isn't there a way to apply the track info I created and applied to a point layer, to the mask or do I have to manually mask him with key framing ?

• LIFE_LEADERSHIP

Oh and I pulled the last YouTube link so just in case here's the new one... https://youtu.be/VIgAitFVUv0

• pamflowers
    pamflowers Website User Posts: 0

Yes the link was not working which is about patched shirts. Thanks for sharing