GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY

JFS31
JFS31 Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hey there,

I just downloaded Hit Film one week ago and was very happy with the workflow. Now I am finished and want to render a clip (Youtube 1080p HD) but what I get after one Minute after starting the export is GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY

I am trying to export on a machine with:

Intel Core i5 4670K

16GB of DDR3 Ram

GeForce GTX1070 and I just today updated the driver.

And yes, there is enough space on my HD.

It seems that I can export shorter clips (about 5 Minutes) without problem. The clip that I want to export is about 16 Minutes long. What I can get from the task manager is that memory should not be the issue here. If I export a 5 Minute clip I can see a steady use of GPU Memory.

But when I want to export the big clip it looks like this:

Suddenly there is this spike and then Hitfilm throws the error. Is this really a memory issue or can something else trigger this behavior?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,581 Ambassador

Typically the error message does indicate overflowing the GPU's memory stack.

Now, a Hitfilm render will usually use more GPU resources than the Viewer. By default anti aliasing is off in the Viewer but always on for a render. This can tip a project into overflow on render. If you've been editing with Viewer at half resolution (or quarter), or at a lower-than-final Quality setting (i.e. Bypassing motion blur) that would also lower GPU usage in the Viewer vs render.

Rather than how long things take before the render crashes you need to look at the rough percentage of render. You have a 15 minute project. Let's say the render crashes at 25%. That would tell us the render is crashing about 3 min 45 seconds into the Timeline. What might be happening there?

Putting it another way, is your program mostly video, but you have a few heavy effects shots with lots of composting? The heavy effects may be causing the problem.

Here's a few things you can try:

Pre-render any Composite Shots. Comps are "procedural" media - calculated per-frame. A Pre-render will write a lossless video file of the Comp. Instead of something calculated and rendered per-frame this collapses the Comp to a video file, so it uses fewer resources. Comparing this with percentage of video rendered at crash can narrow things down. Since Pre-renders take time, you might only Pre-render Comps around the problem area.

You might consider a "multi pass" render. Maybe set in/out points to render before and after the problem area... For the problem area render an image sequence (Image sequences use fewer resources because each frame becomes a still. Video files have to be "kept open" the entire time). Sometimes something that won't render to a video file will export as an image sequence. Now, image sequences don't have audio, so you'd render out an audio-only pass as well. Bring in the video, image and audio passes and stick them on a new project Timeline and re-render. Similar to Pre-renders this is just creating a few video files and an audio file which are low-resource.

If the issue is an effects heavy shot you can consider simplifying things, removing elements or finding low-resource filters. This is tricky, and would require more information on what's going on with the particular shot, but (for example) Levels Histogram uses more resources than Curves. Curves uses more resources than Gamma. All three effects can more or less do the same thing. Still, one should use Curves instead of Levels. Maybe you have something like 4k stock footage that's been scaled down to something like 20% size. In this case, splitting the stock into an embedded Comp and Pre-rendering can reduce resources (4k scaled to 20% means you're effectively using only 4% of the pixels of the full sized stock, so you can see where a Pre-render at the smaller size uses less GPU than scaling the full clip on every frame!). Try Pre-renders before stripping elements.

Finally, it's possible there's a genuine Hitfilm bug you've uncovered. We'll hope other solutions work, but this could require a support ticket.

Hope this helps.

I'll tag in @Stargazer54 and @NormanPCN. Both are stronger at the hardware end than I, so they might have insight beyond looking at your project.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,153 Ambassador

@JFS31 How much VRAM on your GeForce GTX1070? Look like that is either available in either a 2 GB or 4 GB version? My guess is you are running out of VRAM and that is probably due to what @Triem23 is saying - could be some heavy layering or effects. His workaround to separate the work out into lower weight composite shots and pre-render those, then recombine in a parent comp is probably the best bet.

Would be helpful to know more about your project, how many layers, how many effects and type of effects.

• JFS31

Hey there,

thanks for the quick and very comprehensive answer. I am a bit in hurry right now so I cannot test everything you suggested right now but I can tell you a bit about my project. It just consist of some self filmed stuff from my phone, youtube clips, pictures, some recorded voice over, some small transition effects and thats it.

So nothing really complicated and no layers (I think). The thing is it always crashed at the same point (about 6 ~ 7%) when it starts to work on files that I recorded with my phone. Come to mind, I think I will try rendering some other stuff from my phone.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,801 Moderator

@JFS31 Phone footage? Have you by chance transcoded that footage to Constant Frame Rate, if not, what may be happening is the first clip is constant frame then the phone footage, which in all likelihood is Variable Frame Rate, comes up and Hitfilm has problems. If your test has problems with other phone footage I will almost bet that is the answer. A MediaInfo text report would go a long way here to identifying the issue. It is a free download here. And a video telling how it is used is here:

Hope this is useful to you.

• JFS31

@tddavis Hey there, I rendered some of the same clips from my phone that were used in the movie and there It worked. Nevertheless, I will have a look at what you suggested.

• JFS31

@Triem23 @Stargazer54

Thanks for your input. I have provided some information about my project (I posted in on the 12th but forgot to tag the two of you). I must admit as I just wanted to cut a clip as a birthday present and nothing more and the birthday has already passed I am not too eager to try very fancy things to get this work as the editing already consumed a lot of time.

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the composite shots (which I think I don´t have) or any heavy effects (which apart from transitions, a fader and one random Lightning) I also don´t have. One thing that I observed when I try to render is that the CPU runs up to nearly 100%. Is that something that is supposed to happen? Maybe I am doing something completely wrong

As for the GTX1070. I must admit at the moment I am to stupid to find the information in Windows. Even in the device manager it is not showing me this information.

If I cant export the movie I will just show it to my friend in the viewer but maybe you have some more Ideas based on the information I provided in this an the last post.

• JFS31

@Stargazer54

I have the ZOTAC GeForce GTX1070. I cannot post a link to the specs here but the only info that I can find is that it has 8GB of DDR5 memory.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,153 Ambassador

@JFS31 If you are having issue with updating the drivers for the 1070, might I suggest installing GeForce Experience from NVidia. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/download/

For me this has been pretty handy as it will shoot me a pop up if there is a new driver available and make sure you are getting it from NVidia and not some old driver from Microsoft. Your mileage may vary. We had a discussion about this a couple of weeks ago and some people say they don't always get the pop up. But no matter, you can always run the program and check manually.

• JFS31

@Stargazer54

I already have it installed and according to it everything is up to date.

• Stargazer54

At some point the resources of the user forum will be exhausted. I would suggest putting in a ticket with FXHome support

https://fxhome.com/questions/submit

• JFS31

@Stargazer54

Thanks. I will think about it.

@tddavis Here is the requested Media Info Text:

General

Complete name              : C:\Users\Julian\Desktop\Florian Video\20210202_153200.mp4

Format                  : MPEG-4

Format profile              : Base Media / Version 2

Codec ID                 : mp42 (isom/mp42)

File size                : 19.6 MiB

Duration                 : 9 s 450 ms

Overall bit rate             : 17.4 Mb/s

Encoded date               : UTC 2021-02-02 14:32:10

Tagged date               : UTC 2021-02-02 14:32:10

com.android.version           : 10

Video

ID                    : 1

Format                  : AVC

Format/Info               : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile              : [email protected]

Format settings             : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames

Format settings, CABAC          : Yes

Format settings, Reference frames    : 1 frame

Format settings, GOP           : M=1, N=30

Codec ID                 : avc1

Codec ID/Info              : Advanced Video Coding

Duration                 : 9 s 450 ms

Bit rate                 : 17.1 Mb/s

Width                  : 1 920 pixels

Height                  : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio           : 16:9

Frame rate mode             : Variable

Frame rate                : 29.970 (29970/1000) FPS

Minimum frame rate            : 18.734 FPS

Maximum frame rate            : 30.090 FPS

Color space               : YUV

Chroma subsampling            : 4:2:0

Bit depth                : 8 bits

Scan type                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)            : 0.276

Stream size               : 19.3 MiB (99%)

Title                  : VideoHandle

Language                 : English

Color range               : Limited

Color primaries             : BT.709

Transfer characteristics         : BT.709

transfer_characteristics_Original    : BT.601

Matrix coefficients           : BT.709

Codec configuration box         : avcC

Audio

ID                    : 2

Format                  : AAC LC

Format/Info               : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity

Codec ID                 : mp4a-40-2

Duration                 : 9 s 408 ms

Bit rate mode              : Constant

Bit rate                 : 256 kb/s

Channel(s)                : 2 channels

Channel layout              : L R

Sampling rate              : 48.0 kHz

Frame rate                : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)

Compression mode             : Lossy

Stream size               : 294 KiB (1%)

Title                  : SoundHandle

Language                 : English

It says variable framerate so what you assumed might be true. What still baffles me is that I rendered some other clips from my phone ad they work fine on their own.

• tddavis

@JFS31 Usually, variable frame rate clips in Hitfilm will present as audio video desync, but it can for strange reasons cause other issues as well. This may simply be a case of the combination of clips like I mentioned the one before may be different enough; whether Constant or also variable there could be other parameters at play. The best thing I can advise is too transcode all your phone footage with Handbrake in a batch process to Constant and see if Hitfilm still chokes and throws the GL error. Maybe you could test just those in a separate project before all the work of transcoding.

FilmSensei did this video on using Handbrake that might be helpful:

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,945 Ambassador

@JFS31 The other thing I would do just as a double check is to go to Nvidia's website and make sure that you have the most up to date drivers. You can do a manual search here...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

• JFS31

@tddavis I used handbrake and converted a jus the first clip where it breaks but now It throws the error much earlier. At a point that was previously ok.

@FilmSensei According to the GeForce Experience I have the most up to date driver.

• tddavis

@JFS31 How totally bizarre. Really, I think Stargazer54 was right. You are at the point where official tech support are going to have to take a look by submitting a ticket.

• Stargazer54

Just FYI. Moderators and Ambassadors are not FXHome staff. We are regular users of the software that volunteer to spend time on the Forum. We do not have all knowledge of the software or support issues that the FXHome developers have. Please put in a ticket.

• fxhomer159716
    fxhomer159716 Website User Posts: 0

I am having the same issue and have put in a ticket

• JFS31

@Stargazer54 @tddavis @Triem23 @FilmSensei Ok, thanks for all your input :) As suggested I will put up a ticket and try to solve the issue that way.

@fxhomer159716 Thanks for the info. How do you get this nice sheet showing all your systems specs?

• spyresca
    spyresca Website User Posts: 183 Enthusiast
    edited February 18

From windows prompt run/type DXDIAG , then save the information as a text file.

• tddavis

@spyresca Well, thanks for that info. If I knew it once long ago, I have since totally forgotten about it, so news to me too.