DOF

Hi all. Im looking at hitfilm to replace what i do in after effects. I understand it currently dosnt have a effect to do DOF. Is that something that is planned in future releases? Is there a roadmap for Hitfilm?
Thanks

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador
    Hitfilm has Depth of Field built into it's 3D cameras. You just have to turn it on in the Layer Properties for the Camera layer. After that, you have the Aperture, Zoom and Blur settings in the camera's Lens settings to dial in your DOF.
    Now, if you're referring to Depth Masking/Distance Masking, no, Hitfilm currently doesn't support that. However, Hitfilm's 3D compositing space makes Depth Masking unnecessary in many shots. Or, you can use duplicate objects in an embedded composite shot to fake a (limited) Depth Map by taking an all-white version of your object into a comp with a black BG and adjusting Distance Fog settings to get a falloff at the depth you want. it's a bit fiddly, but it does work.
  • Thanks for your reply. I work mainly in medical animation so the workflow you describe with hundreds of objects in the scene etc would be painful.
    Does Hitfilm use 3rd party plugins like lenscare (http://www.frischluft.com/lenscare/) ?
    Thanks
  • Triem23
    edited September 2014
    Not at the moment. However, with the release of the Plug-Ins Package, speculation is rampant that FxHome is moving Hitfilm 3 to OFX to allow for future third-party development.
    May I ask why you're moving off AE? personally I prefer Hitfilm for my workflow, but keep AR for when I need it. For hundreds of 3D objects, AE with Element 3D might work better for you. Or, even a full 3D program like Blender.
  • My normal workflow is to create my animations in Softimage and then render out all my passes including a depth pass and comp with AE using the lenscare plugin to create DOF. With the death of Softimage im looking around for other apps.
    Going to move most of my 3D to Blender.
    As far as AE goes i really like adobe apps. But would like to stay away from software subscriptions like Autodesk and Adobe.
    Im starting my freelance career www.highbeamstudios.com and I am looking for cheaper apps.
    Im liking hitfilm so far so just intrested as to where its going.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Can you provide a bit more detail about the 'hundreds of objects'? Are we talking each object being different, or is it hundreds of the same object, or somewhere in between? Just trying to gauge more accurately what you're after.
  •  If you watch this from about 4.50 it give the basic workflow in AE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89n72DBVLA0
    In this image the bone matrix is made up of about 4 different objects and then the molecules floating around are seperate objects instanced with ICE particals in Softimage.
    In this shot i rendered out the Bone matrix as one pass which also including spec, incidence, diffuse, Reflection and occlusion. 
    For the molecules they were rendered out with another pass with the same buffers. Then there are the small particals floating around which were another pass.
    I would then render out a depth pass going from White in the forground to black in the background.
    There was also about 4-5 RGB matte passes as well.
    So then in AE i would comp these all back together to create the look i wanted. I then apply the DOF lenscare plugin to an adjustment layer sitting at the top of the comp and this alows me to keyframe the DOF in post. And with this job I had to focus on different molecules as they moved around.

Hope this makes sense.

growth_factors_01.jpg
  • SimonKJones
    From the looks of things the camera DoF features in HitFilm would work just fine for that particular shot. Of course, you don't get fancy bokeh from that which I presume the plugin you've been using includes. That's something we've got on the wishlist. Eagle-eyed people will note the existence of the 'lens blur' plugin in the HitFilm Plugins collection, for example.
  • Is there a video showing how to set this kind of effect up using the camera dof features?
  • SimonKJones
    This video details the dof camera controls, albeit not in your specific context:
    http://youtu.be/DHBo-HwVllM
    In terms of the floaty particles, take a look at both the atomic particles effect and the main particle simulator. Both could be good for the kind of thing you're after.The former works in an array but is very efficient for creating HUGE particle clouds, while the particle simulator is based around physics so is better if you need 'free floating' particles.
    This tutorial might also be of some interest:
    http://youtu.be/fg5paLYok2Y
  • Triem23
    edited September 2014
    Highbeam, just go read this thread. :-) Specifically, you want "Simulating Depth of Field" under "3D Scenes." There should also be links to playlists.
    community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/4699-learning-hitfilm-an-epic-study-course/
    Edit: hah! Simon posted as I typed.
    The particle sim puts 2D particles in 3D space, however, I have a workaround for using 3D objects to generate animated textures for the particle sim (which I need to do that tutorial I promised everyone months ago. Anyway, one of these uses four models, particle-cloned, the other uses a single model, but multiple instances. Not exactly what you're doing, but I think it would work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRrgEy9NsTw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0RfzNKMbFg
  • Triem23
    "In this shot i rendered out the Bone matrix as one pass which also including spec, incidence, diffuse, Reflection and occlusion. "

Hitfilm doesn't do most of these maps yet, but Blender does, and if you're used to compositing render passes, well, Hitfilm is a joy to comp in. Otherwise, Hitfilm's 3D capabilities are pretty sweet.