Trying to export anamorphic 1440x1080

wfjp
wfjp Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hi everyone - quite new to this and dealing with a quite annoying issue.

I'm making some changes to a source mp4 which is in 1440x1080 anamorphic format. All okay: I've set the editor settings to match, done what I need to, it looks great in the Viewer. But when I export, I don't have the 'HD anamorphic (1.33)' option that shows up in the editor, or equivalent. So the video gets letterboxed/stretched/squashed etc - depending what combination of other things I try - when it exports to mp4.

I gather from a bit of reading around that it'd be better not to work in anamorphic, and instead convert the source video when I import it. Good to know for future - but unfortunately this source clip has text in it, which similarly gets stretched/thrown off screen/etc if I do that.

Suggestions very much appreciated!

Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,689 Ambassador

@TheBenNorris is 1.33 Pixel Aspect Ratio on export a Pro Only thing, or does there need to be a feature request?

@wfjp most of your footage is on the Editor Timeline not comp shots?

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,042 Staff
    edited February 2021

@Triem23 you don't export the footage at 1.33. The viewer is automatically adjusting the PAR to render correctly (so it appears 1:1), but when you export it will actually be 4:3. I could be wrong on this, but this has come up before and is how I remember it working.

Edit: this is correct if I had actually read the question correctly, my bad. Triem's response is probably the most helpful here.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,689 Ambassador

@TheBenNorris you are correct, but it seems like Hitfilm isn't setting the proper flag for a media player to know to stretch the output.

@wfjp OK 1920x1080 footage has square pixels. 1440x1080 is supposed to fill the same area as 1920x1080, but with a wider pixel.

The "elegant" solution is an encoding flag that tell a media player to stretch in real time. Hitfilm doesn't seem to be setting it. A media player will have manual controls to correct for aspect ratio, but that depends on the player.

Another solution is to render with a 1.33 pixel aspect ratio. This would be more for Blu-ray burning. Looks like Express doesn't have a 1.33 PAR Export.

A third possible solution is to manually stretch the footage. This is the old school method. You'd create a typical 1920x1080 1.0 Pixel Aspect Ratio Timeline then go into clip Properties, unlink the chain icon for Scale and set horizontal scale to 133.333%. It Hitfilm you can do this to one clip, use box select to select the other clips, then right click and "Paste Attributes" to paste the Scale to every clip.

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,042 Staff
    edited February 2021

Ah, seems I misread the original post before my morning coffee. I'll look into the limitations on Express/Pro when it comes to aspect ratios, as it's not something that has come up before. Deleted my original comment since it gave the answer for a different question.

Edit: @Triem23 Pro doesn't have a 1.33 export ratio either, I'm not going crazy after all.