How to film a (Miniature) Car Chase?

georgefilmltd
georgefilmltd Website User Posts: 392 Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm filming a car chase with Lego's and a tripod, I was wondering how to film this, Green screen might look weird, because I have green and blue characters.

Best Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador
    Accepted Answer

Are you gonna stop-motion the cars, or just roll them? If you're rolling them you're going to need to try and film at a high frame rate for scale. There's a math equation for this that I'll have to look up and return for.

Remember that green and blue are most commonly used as keying backgrounds for certain techie reasons, but you can key any solid color. Your CHRACTERS are green and blue. The Lego skin is usually yellow. Can you avoid purple bricks? Then you could use a purple screen.

• georgefilmltd
    Accepted Answer

I'm going to Stop Motion them @Triem23

Purple might work, thanks!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador
    Accepted Answer

Y'know, I brought of the math for scale speed and frame rate, but I'm going to say you should just read this article. It's got a lot of good info and background in it and includes the formulae in context. This is way better than things I'd type up and excerpt from varied sources. It's more detail than you'll need for a Lego shoot, and you'll be able to "cheat" the look - not trying for realistic scale since it's Lego - but a lot of good information here, and, just an interesting read! (I mean, since you're stop motioning the car, technically you don't need to learn any of this stuff right now, but, again, it's a good read.)

• georgefilmltd
    Accepted Answer