Motion Tracking

maczico10
maczico10 Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hi, i'm new to hitfilm and can do basic motion tracking on still objects and one person not moving much. My issues are i'm trying to apply a friends head to a video but the clip i'm tracking goes to another scene a few times without the person i'm tracking,so when tracking stops and i apply my friends head to the video it stays on the video just floating there :-) Also how do i adjust the size of my friends head in keeping with the video as the scene pans in and out. Hope this makes sense and i appreciate any help. Thank you. The pics i've added is after when he's moved so the head size isn't correct to the scene ,if i adjust it , it's then different to the next scene.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,519 Ambassador

First thing you should do is split the original clip into multiple short clips with the razor tool. Each camera cut in the original footage should become a new Hitfilm clip. That way you just don't have to worry about shots where you don't want to overlay the face.

Look at two-point tracking. Having that second point will create scale and rotation data. This can help with the camera move.

Without seeing the footage it's hard to suggest good track points - and what you're doing, face replacement, is pretty complex. Especially as a beginner project. If the actors rotate (turn from side to side) during the shot it gets harder. If there's not face rotation, then track each eyebrow. If there is face rotation, look at the collars... The collars will move less than the face, but the face moves above the collar. Tracking the collar will create position data from the neck, and should generate scale data based on the camera moves.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,171 Expert
    edited February 2021

@Triem23 Well, now. I would never think of using the collar for those reasons. That is super useful!

• maczico10

Thank you for your help, I think you're correct, it's maybe something I'm not ready to quite do just ye

t. I've actually encountered another problem, motion tracking has been fine, opened the computer today and now it doesn't track and there is no option to fast motion track, just frame by frame, it's like the play button for tracking has disappeared, I've uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted my pc but still the same, I can't motion track at all now πŸ™ the bottom picture shows in layer, I can only track frame by frame now but it doesn't actually track at all. The top pic in in viewer

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,113 Expert
    edited February 2021

@maczico10 Make sure that you have the Tracker in the Video Layer highlighted and the Track Tab selected...

• maczico10

OMG! It's something as silly as that, I've just realised the options are here, by chance I opened something under the window tab, the layout did look different to last night so not sure why, but the options I've circled were under the video I was tracking so was easier, thank you, and I've just realised your name 😁 I'm actually subscribed to you and watch your vids, thanks for your help πŸ˜πŸ‘

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,113 Expert

@maczico10 Glad to be of help, and thank you for your very kind words! Good luck on your project, and if you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to ask. 😁

• maczico10

I'm an excited beginner, I want to run before I can walk πŸ˜‚ I should start off with the very basics before thinking I can make something within a day. You're channel is a great help, I'm really enjoying learning, again, thank you πŸ˜πŸ‘