Good settings for Canon T3i?

ChrisMurphy
ChrisMurphy Website User Posts: 61

I recently purchased a Canon T3i to use for my film making classes. Apart from looks and effects achieved in post, what settings on the camera should I enable or change, that would give a good base image quality while shooting video?
What of the "image quality" settings?
Thanks!!

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,961 Ambassador
    If you don't go for Magic Lantern (you should) then you need to become familiar with how the camera functions. A lot of that will be down to personal taste or depending on the shot. For example, changing image settings to make your base footage more or less saturated. For a "film" look, you certainly want to shoot and set your shutter speed to 1/48. This is like a typical film camera with a 100% shutter. Otherwise, you are better off lighting your scene and lowering your ISO than shooting with a higher ISO.
  • GKDantas
    GKDantas Website User Posts: 133
    I think every scene have a diferent setup because light is the key, but I really dont like too much to use Magic Lantern (learn the firmware first, then go to ML after), I use a flat preset for the image from Technicolor its the CineStyle:
    http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/cinestyle
    This give me a better image to grade then the default presets in Canon. I think this i a great help for filming.
    About ISO you cant use a high value, T3i get a lot of grain very easy with low light situation, so set the Auto Lightining Optimizer to off to get more control over the image.
    And when you could get a good lens, maybe the basic 50mm 1.8 that will give a very clear image (aperture 1.8 is amazing) but since its a croped sensor this lens will work almost as a 85mm so you will need a lot of room to get a full body shot.
    Here is an example the T3i with 50mm lens, but I shot it in a Mall so I have a lot of room (maybe about 4 to 5 meters from subject to get full body)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj0YgtHP-_o
  • ChrisMurphy
    Thanks!! This question is competley irrelevant but my t3i like auto Sleeps after a few seconds of not being used. Even in live view mode in video mode it sleeps if I don't press a button. How do I turn this off?
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    You can adjust the Auto power off settings in the camera's menus.  I don't have a T3i, but in one of the menus with a Wrench icon, there should be an "Auto power off" option.
  • ChrisMurphy
  • GKDantas
    GKDantas Website User Posts: 133
    Thats it! 2 minutes its a good time to save battery.
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador
    I have a T2i and I set the frame rate at 24 per second. Looks very 'film'like not at all like video tape.
    Does the T3i have the same type of settings?
    If so- to get some good results in slow motion, try the 60 frames per second
    and in post (HF), use the temporal effect.
    Just a couple thoughts.