How do I get playback to not be a choppy mess

7cyantropican7
7cyantropican7 Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

New to this software after using VideoPad for about 3 years. One thing I noticed is when I apply certain effects, the playback framerate tanks heavily. A quick look at task manager showed that HitFilm was using 100% GPU usage. I have a GTX 1080, surely that can handle an effect like motion trails right?

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,431 Ambassador

@7cyantropican7 Need more information on your input footage. Please post a MediaInfo tree report on it. How to use that here: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=mediainfo+how+to

Chances are your footage is Variable Frame Rate and will need to be transcoded to Constant Frame Rate. Easily done with Handbrake. How to use that here: https://youtu.be/kbsmEQwbtU8

• 7cyantropican7

Not sure what a mediainfo tree is but this is what it spat out. I'm familiar with handbrake as I use it to compress videos to make file sizes smaller, however my main concern is that I have like 90 clips that I plan on using, are you saying I have to put all 90 clips through handbrake just to make it not lag because that would take an eternity

• Stargazer54

@7cyantropican7 Your footage is Variable Frame Rate so transcoding to Constant Frame Rate is going to be the way to go. In Jay's tutorial on Handbrake (linked above) he shows you how to batch transcode all the files in a folder. Put your clips in a folder, start your batch transcode and go do something else or have your computer work on them overnight.

• 7cyantropican7

so I went ahead and done that but it still runs very badly, maybe 1080 is weak apparently. Isn't there a way to pre render it so after a while it can playback smoothly

• Stargazer54

Reviewing the original issue is that you are adding motion trails. So there is probably no cure for lagging playback when adding some effects. The amount of VRAM on your 1080 could be holding it back? However what matters is the rendered output file - because that is what the viewer will see. I've got a 2070 Super and it still lags when adding full screen effects and just playing back in the viewer. But rendered output looks fine.

• GarethOwen
    GarethOwen Posts: 227 Enthusiast

i fix or a work around is if your adding clips or effects or have different sequences cut, and if its starting to lag even with a pre render, is infact do a full render and when you then create a new comp bring that into the comp and it will run way more smoothy

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

We talked about issues that apply on FilmSensei's livestream today.

Hitfilm certainly has room for speed improvements. That's true. Moving on.

HF tends to use one CPU thread for each video stream. (Room for improvement.) GPU does effects and rendering. @NormanPCN could give more detail, but HF seems inefficient when needing to grab multiple frames from a single media file.

Motion Trails/Echo/Motion Blur are high-resource effects (especially with one thread). Obviously the software is grabbing multiple frames from the same media file, then processing for display - basically hitting a bunch of HF slowdown points.

Unfortunately your only real solution here is to use your viewer resolution/quality controls. Half/Quarter res for more smoothness. In extreme cases "Quick" quality for bypassing VFX.

Suggest moving motion trail shots into Comps then pre-render. At that point HF is just streaming the pre-rendered video file rather than calculating the effect per-frame. That will speed things up as well, but use a fair amount of drive space.

• 7cyantropican7
    edited January 31

how do I pre render then, bear in mind i'm fairly inexperienced

• spyresca
    spyresca Posts: 213 Enthusiast

Right click on the clip or composite to pre-render and then....

• 7cyantropican7

alright thanks