Problems saving and opening HFP files.

rhysbrook
rhysbrook Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Afternoon everyone, I started creating a video last night with multiple clips I have saved. I finished up for the night and proceeded with 'Save as' and saved it as a HFP file on my desktop. This morning I went to open up the file through Hitfilm and a message popped up saying (Picture below) 'The following files could not be found at their previously saved locations, missing files will be relinked automatically where possible'

It then shows up two links which I am able to click but it only allows me to open MP4 files with no show of the HFP file.

I'm hoping to open up the HFP file to continue where I am, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,088 Enthusiast

You did open a Hitfilm project file. That project file had imported media which could not be found at the location originally imported. That is what the relink dialog is about.

• rhysbrook
    rhysbrook Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

@NormanPCN I think I understand where you're coming from buddy, I keep a folder on my desktop for instance and keep the original MP4's in that folder and then save the HFP file to that folder also so they're all together, sound about right mate?

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,088 Enthusiast

It does not matter where you save your stuff. Your choice and your business. If you move the imported media files after you import them into the project then they will need to be relinked.

Hitfilm defaults to saving absolute file paths to media files. So even if you saved the project file (hfp) in the same folder as the media and then later moved the project and media files elsewhere, the project will of course open fine but the media will not be found. It will need to be relinked, since the media file moved on disk.

The use relative paths option can allow you to move project and media so long as the relative path from project to media file remains the same. Otherwise you need to relink. A lot of people typically save media files in the same folder as the project file (hfp) or a folder underneath that location. The relative option allows you to move things without relinking.