[ENHANCEMENT] Add "Nest" option

Vorrior
Vorrior Posts: 6 Enthusiast

Like in PP, i would love to see option to nest timeline elements into one sequence. Simple and very useful add-on ^^

Comments

• borkia
    borkia Posts: 37 Enthusiast
    edited October 2020

I think Nested layers or layer groups in composite shoots would be extremely helpful to organize projects, and the ability to apply effects to the groups would be great as well!

I work with tens of images and sound files to create animatics for my projects and each time I need this feature so badly!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,298 Power User

Hitfim has always allowed you to nest Composite Shots. You can drag any Comp from the Media Bin to a layer in an existing Comp, and you can right click layers in Comps to create nests from existing media. Once a nested Comp is on a timeline you can add effects to the embedded layer, which applies the effect to everything in it.

See Section "6.5 Embedding Composite Shots."

• borkia
    borkia Posts: 37 Enthusiast
    edited October 2020

Thank You, @Triem23 . I use this approach, but it is not the same, as suggested feature, as we can not edit one composite shot and preview the edits influence on another one.

On the other hand creating lots of composite shots make the project media management much harder.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,377 Expert
    edited October 2020

I think this feature request is talking about a composite order hierarchy. This is effectively what nested comps are, and provide us, but as stated there are limitations. One as previously stated and also one cannot have a single layer, like a point layer, be referenced in multiple composites.

Another thing is grade layers. The good thing about them is that they affect everything below. That is also the bad thing about them. With a hierarchy a grade layer could only affect the layers in its hierarchy group (children).

Vegas has such a feature I would support something as such. I've previously suggested such.

• jackschoening
    jackschoening Posts: 96 Enthusiast

I think being able to merge clips in the editor timeline should be a thing. Although you can do this by dragging a composite shot from the media panel to the timeline. I still think there should be an option to merge video in the timeline without all of these work-arounds.

• Triem23

@jackschoening I have merged your thread with an existing older thread with the same request. Make sure you hit Up Vote at the top of the thread.

• missykeeto
    missykeeto Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*
    edited November 2020

I debated with myself for some time about making this a NEW feature request or merging it with one of two other requests that were similar. I am sorry if I made the wrong decision.

Anyway, I would like to add the ability to group clips together with either a section tool or by CTRL clicking to select several clips and right click to create a group or remove from group. This would be especially useful for multi-cam shoots. You align all the video and audio tracks together before editing, then as you move things forward or backward all the grouped clips move at once, so you don't lose the sync. Often syncing is easy at first due to an intentional clap or something, but further down the timeline it gets much more difficult as you cut up and edit your footage.

Vegas (and others) has this type of option available. It is very useful when dealing with multi-cam shoots, and/or multiple audio mics from a shoot. Although we can just use another editor and move to Hitfilm for composite shots, it would still be better to do everything in Hitfilm, that is why it has both parts in the first place, right? :) Just making an awesome product even better. Thanks for your time and for making such a great piece of software. And thanks for all the great tutorials, it makes learning so much easier!

• jackschoening
    jackschoening Posts: 96 Enthusiast
    edited January 2021

I agree, it would be so nice to have a pre-comp equivalent in the editor.

• mabdelbary
    mabdelbary Posts: 162 Enthusiast

I agree, editor in general will be more powerful to have similar tools like the compositor such as "Composite Shot" but it could be called "Nest/Group" in the editor.

• BenSrgel
    BenSrgel Posts: 10 Just Starting Out*

I would love to see a function to group layers in a composite shot into a group, like in VEGAS PRO. That would help to organize the Layers

• Triem23

@missykeeto @BenSrgel I've merged both your threads into this older one with the same request. Make certain you click "Vote Up" under the top comment of this thread.

• iamdannywyatt
    iamdannywyatt Posts: 23 Just Starting Out*

Coming from Premiere, this is something that should be included by default. Composite Shots are definitely not the same thing

• iamdannywyatt
    iamdannywyatt Posts: 23 Just Starting Out*

Working with sequences is, in my opinion, way better than having a project file for each project we have. For example, I have to create daily videos for social media, all with the same layout, just different sizes. In Premiere I only have 1 project file called "Daily Videos" and then inside I have sequences called "Instagram Story", "Instagram Feed", "Twitter", "YouTube", etc.

It's easier and faster to work, especially when we have to make the same changes on all of them. Instead of opening a new project and waiting for it to load, I just have all sequences opened in tabs and I click them.

Please include this feature in HitFilm :)

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,197 Enthusiast

@iamdannywyatt please Edit your post to say [Feature] Sequences inside a project, like Premiere

thanks

• Triem23

@iamdannywyatt I've kinda overridden @Andersen01498 here and just merged your thread with this older one making the same request. 1 thread per feature, otherwise votes get spread out.

Make sure you up vote at the top of the thread.

• saiven
    saiven Posts: 1

i know u can alrdy do this with creating a composite clip but not can u not turn text into composite shots but the real estate that the editor timeline provides is honestly much better for some basic editing and keeping everything organized

• Triem23

@saiven I've merged your request thread with this older one making the same request. You'll want to vote up at the top of the thread.

Also please read the thread linked here. Your thread did not follow the proper guidelines for the Feature Request forum.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,900 Ambassador

@borkia Your previous post about this similar feature "[FEATURE] Nested Layers/Layer Groups" has been merged with this newer one to keep things more tidy. Check that your vote up still exists. I will vote it up, as well.

@Triem23 Merge complete.