Composite shot goes black at original ending when reducing speed despite extending duration

bennyfeldt
bennyfeldt Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hi all

So i've got Hitfilm Express.

So say I've got a 10 sec clip, I'm reducing speed by 0.5 so that it becomes a 20 sec clip. I change the settings of the composite shot to become a 20 second clip, and then extend the bar of the track to 20 seconds. Regardless, the clip goes all black at 10 seconds, even if its just half way through the actual video.

This seems awfully odd, and how do I fix this?

Tagged:

Comments

• bennyfeldt
    bennyfeldt Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hi all

So i've got Hitfilm Express.

So say I've got a 10 sec clip, I'm reducing speed by 0.5 so that it becomes a 20 sec clip. I change the settings of the composite shot to become a 20 second clip, and then extend the bar of the track to 20 seconds. Regardless, the clip goes all black at 10 seconds, even if its just half way through the actual video.

This seems awfully odd, and how do I fix this?

• georgefilmltd
    georgefilmltd Posts: 493 Enthusiast

Go into your composite shot with the reduced speed,

Extend the clip to the end of the comp,

If that doesn't work, go back to your composite shot and make the clip regular speed again, then use the rate stretch tool to slow it down 0.5

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,239 Ambassador

The Speed effect is unintuitive and quirky. I'm about to tune into a livestream, but I'll be back in about an hour with the detailed response..

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,088 Enthusiast

There is a lot of room for interpretation in your description. You need to be more specific. e.g. what exactly do you mean by "clip". What is the clip source. I could not reproduce your report.

Here is a short video where I attempt to reproduce from your description. In my case the clip was sourced from the trimmed media on the editor timeline. The media is longer than 10sec. The trim is 10 sec. The composite is sourced from the editor timeline.

In general if you are not keyframing the speed then using the rate stretch tool is a better way to go. You can use it on the editor and composite timeline and the clip duration change is accounted for in the UI implementation of the feature.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,239 Ambassador

Ok, here we go....

So... Media in Hitfilm is conformed to the frame rate of the Comp/Editor Timeline when the media is added to the timeline. Also, the "datablock" for the clip - first and last frames - is defined at this point.

Now, the Speed EFFECT happens, in order of operations, after this conforming occurs.

What this means to the Speed effect is that only the frames in the datablock are used. Changing the Speed of the clip doesn't change the datablock... So, if you have a "5 second clip" on the timeline you have a 5 second datablock. Slowing the speed to (say) 0.5 means the clip with slow to half speed, but will still only play inside the 5-second datablock.

Don't think about it too hard - it still makes my head hurt, and I'm waiting for a future version of Hitfilm to have a sane time remap.

OK, so... To use the Speed effect you need to cheat a large datablock. Let's say we have a 5-second clip we want to slow to 10 seconds... You'll create a Comp Shot and drop in your 5 second clip, but you'll make the Cop Shot 10 seconds. Now you drop this comp shot into a second comp shot and apply the Speed effect to this ten second embedded layer. By burying the clip in an embedded Comp Shot you've faked a 10 second datablock.

Now... Unless you're doing a speed RAMP - changing the speed of the clip over several frames - don't use the Speed Effect if you can avoid it. If you're doing a speed SNAP - changing the speed over the clip over one frame - you're better doing this semi-annoying process...

Reminder, frames of a clip are conformed when dropped on a timeline, so we're going to change the speed of the clip BEFORE dropping on the timeline.

SO, here's the workaround.

• Load clip into Media Bin.
    • Duplicate Clip in Media Bin.
    • Right-Click one clip and rename. (Say ">CLIP< SLOW")
    • On Clip "SLOW" right click and select Properties.
    • Look for Frame rate and uncheck "From File."
    • If your clip was (for example) 30fps, then change this to 15. That's half-speed. FOr double speed, change to 60. You have to do a little bit of math here...
    • Now, "Cut" between your regular motion and slow motion version on the timeline.

Again, the Speed effect is a pain....