Advice on how to improve my video's

fxhomer288603
fxhomer288603 Posts: 41 Just Starting Out*
edited January 22 in General

I have started a You Tube Channel called Tilly TV. My concept is to provide relaxing dog walking and watching video's for stressed out people and people who love dogs and animals.

The first video I have ever edited was on 1/9/21 the first Tilly TV vid. I have done about 25 since and I am going to post my latest. My equipment is not very good, the camera I use is an Akaso ek7000 which doesn't have motion reduction and has problems with sun flash. I am looking to get some filters for it. So I know about some of that stuff. What I would like is some advice on composition of the video and suggestions on ways to increase interest in them.

This is my latest, which frankly I am somewhat proud of at this stage of my development. I know I have a long way to go a lots to learn. I am retired and on a adequate but fixed income so real expensive ideas may not work for me.

Comments

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,300 Moderator

@TillyTV It looks really good for just starting out! If this is what you can already do, you should have a bright future in filmmaking if you continue with it and continually try to get better!

A few things I noticed in this video:

I felt the music was quite overpowering... I would’ve loved to hear more of the videos’ natural sound, and I also felt like the choice of music in this film didn’t fit your theme of being stress free. To be fair, there’s a ton of gag-worthy “cutesy” music that you hear ALL the time with these sorts of videos, so I’m glad you tried to go with something different, I just didn’t feel like this track was the right choice.

The camera quality seemed pretty decent for what appears to be a generic GoPro, however if you have an iPhone or any mid- to high-end Android built within the past 5 years or so, you should be able to get comparable or higher quality, especially in the audio department. Most modern phone cameras also feature some sort of built-in image stabilization, which can really be a game changer. Just remember that phone video usually needs to be transcoded (converted) before it will play nice in HitFilm. While the extra step may sound tedious, if it means getting a better result, it can certainly be worth it, and it’s not that bad once you integrate it into your process.

I’d want to see some changes to how you use your lower thirds . Try giving each dog its own unique color (If you don’t want to deal with color theory to try and find nice, complementary colors, do a Google search for color palettes, find one you like, and use the eyedropper for the color selection tool to grab the colors you want) Also consider using different lower thirds for different purposes - for example, use one style for the dog introductions, but use a different (but similar) style for the “flavor text” or descriptions of what’s going on, and another style for titles. Be careful though, you don’t want to use too many different styles- consistency is also a good thing. Speaking of consistency, be consistent in your placement for each type of lower third. If most of your introduction cards are in the bottom center of the screen, they should all stay there, even if the dog is off center. Since lower thirds are a design thing, there’s a LOT of nuance that goes into it, more than I can explain here, but that should cover the basics.

I hope this feedback has been constructive, hopefully it will give you something to chew on for a bit ;)

• fxhomer288603

Wow that is fantastic advice!

I agree my audio needs work, this is only the third video I have tried to add music so I will take your advice to heart. On the natural sound, I have some issues due to how I get my footage. I often have to go up to complete strangers to convince them to let me record their dogs. So often the conversations are off topic, or should not be published. I have whole sections of video that have ambient sounds without talking but dog walking tends to be a quiet activity.

Your advice on the lower third is great and I will take that to heart and try to tighten up that section using your suggestions.

I have been toying with the idea of inserting text bubble (cartoon like) for the flavor text, using motion tracking feature. What do you think of that method.

Also is it possible in Hitfilm to animate the mouth of my dog to make it look like she is talking? I was thinking I could have her pop up in corner and make snark comments.

Also I am averaging 4 - 5 videos every day because there are so many dogs, and I do an introduction video like this:

This is one of my very early ones but it has the most views.

This is one of the latest ones posted last night. I can do these in 15 min so they are easy, but I would like to make them better also.

I really appreciate your help on composing my videos and can't thank you enough.

• triforcefx

@TillyTV the recorded sound thing is understandable, it probably isn’t the best idea to leave in random conversations with the owners. However, while your walks may seem quiet, there’s a lot of environmental sounds that make the scene feel incomplete without them. This doesn’t solve hearing the soft patter of paws (that might require more Foley than you want for a short form rapid fire video), but consider taking some time while you’re not around other people to specifically record some environmental sounds. Once you build up a library, you can drop in a sound clip behind your music and that can help bring things to life, even if the actual audio is from a totally different time and place.

The talk bubble is a great idea and will give your videos more originality, especially if you can make it custom (I’m trying to think of a good way you could do this within HitFilm that is totally customizable and you can save it as a template for easy access... I have a few ideas that I want to try)

A simple animation is super easy to do, just draw (or have someone else draw- preferably in an image creation program that can use a transparent .png background) have a a few different faces for Tilly based on one base image. Then just switch between a few of them to make her talk or use other expressions.

• fxhomer288603

Thanks for the feedback, I have already started a library of natural environment sounds. I will try to create a mini library to make them easier to use. I will try on my own to create the bubbles but I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

You are saying to create an animation of her, and then combine them in a way to make it appear for her to talk. Can I do this with still frames that have been green screened out. So that I can use her actual image?

• triforcefx

That’s a possibility, though it might be more difficult to get a desirable result. Definitely give it a shot though!

• fxhomer288603
  • fxhomer288603

This is my latest, I picked a new song, tried to bring in some of the ambient audio at time. Changed up my intro.

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Posts: 571 Enthusiast

@TillyTV Music is much better. Though it does get too loud at times.

Very nice work.

• fxhomer288603

Thanks for the encouragement! I will work on more consistent sound levels.

• fxhomer288603
    edited January 23

I've committed to daily videos, so here is my latest. I think it is a big improvement. I need to animate my intro text. Baby steps!

If I'm being too needy let me know.

• fxhomer288603
    edited January 24

Ok last one, this is a recut of my 18 min first video produced. It was basically 18 min of cuts spliced together. I think I get a better effect and it is less than 3 min.

I hope you noticed the timing of the butt wiggle text with the music. It was pure luck!