Post Tags

GrayMotion
GrayMotion Posts: 1,598 Enthusiast
edited January 17 in General

Who is adding the tags in the list of tags? How come I cant add my own ( I think I know the answer to this)? If I cannot add my own may I suggest one or two to an Ambassador?

Comments

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

@GrayMotion To the right of the title of a post are three dots. Click on those and select Edit. Scroll to the bottom to see a box called Tags. Enter them there!

• GrayMotion

@FilmSensei Yep but I cannot add any tags. I have to use what is available. 😟

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator
    edited January 17

@GrayMotion I never knew that was there, right where @FilmSensei indicated. Not very observant, am I? Also, not a hashtagger on the social media either. 🤣 Anyway, I say suggest away to whomever (Ambassadors or Moderators) alike until we can get further guidance on who can and can't from staff.

• FilmSensei

@GrayMotion Interesting... maybe only Moderators can add tags? That sounds somewhat odd, but maybe we can ask @philipwesson?

• GrayMotion
    edited January 18

@tddavis "" Also, not a hashtagger on the social media either."

I left social media in the dust years back...waste of time. #forgetthat. Hashtags are platform independent,( ie Twatter, Bookface and the like) Hashtags are physical drivers (lazy) for people not an intelligent pointer for the AI. Tags are different. The point of tag, btw should only be one word, is to aid in mis-spellings. Their largest impact is, and has been for awhile, help in clarifying what exactly the page is about so that the algorithm know as "Google" can better rank the page based on content of the page.

@FilmSensei I guess I do understand why tags wouldn't be open to the masses to add their own. There would be 1000's of useless tags which over-all would impact the rankings of said pages. 90% of people do not know how to use tags properly thus it could be damaging in the end. Tags really need to be specific to the sites (pages) content. For instance - help, video editing, videoclip, crash, export settings are the wrong kind of tags. For one they should be single words and 2) be specific to the topic. You see what I mean? Generally speaking most people don't know what tags are for let alone know how to use tags correctly.

It would still be nice to add a a tag or 2 to more topic specific posts 👍

• philipwesson
    philipwesson Posts: 416 Staff

Hi All,

I disabled tags for members (moderators can still create them), as there was a substantial influx of spam/unrelated tags generated, many that had nothing to do with the subject matter here. We can revisit the decision, but as it stands, we're keeping the tags limited to relevant keywords.

• FilmSensei

@philipwesson That sounds good to me! Thanks for the clarification.

@GrayMotion Please feel free to suggest away with your tag requests. We will see what we can do! 😀

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

Ditto for my two cents.

• GrayMotion

As I thought. Thanks for the clarification everyone.