4k Footage Scaling Issue

zjennings1016
zjennings1016 Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*
edited January 16 in Post-production techniques

For starters, I'm a noob in general to video editing / compositing and just starting to use Hitfilm, but it has been a fabulous program for me! And these discussions have been great. Thx!

I'm trying to import footage from a couple different devices. One is a Panasonic camcorder. The other is an iPhone 8 Plus. My Hitfilm project resolution is 1080p. Both devices are set to 4k. My thought was I would scale the footage after importing etc. The camcorder footage imports fine. But when I import the footage from the iPhone as soon as I scale it to 50% the footage turns to junk. I tried transcoding using handbrake but same thing. It only happens after I scale the 4k footage. If I import it and playback, it's fine, but as soon as I scale it goes crazy (footage gets chopped up, rotated, mirrored...you name it).

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• zjennings1016

Actually I was wrong it's not anything to do with 4k footage. It does it with 1080p as well.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,253 Ambassador

Welcome to the community, @zjennings1016! :) What are your system specs? OS, CPU, GPU, RAM, and free hard drive space.

• zjennings1016

Thanks!

It's a 2019 MBP

Big Sur OS

2.6 GHz 6-Core i7

AMD Radeon PRo 5300M 4GB

16GB

380GB available.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,253 Ambassador

Unfortunately macOS Big Sur isn't officially supported yet. The highest supported macOS version is Catalina. It's possible that the issues you're experiencing are due to something in Big Sur that the devs haven't yet addressed. They're always working on reviewing OS updates to keep HitFilm, Imerge, etc. up-to-date, but it's a small team and it takes time. I hate to say this, but the only thing you can do is wait for an update that supports Big Sur.

• zjennings1016

ugh yeah good point. That happened to me with GIMP. worked great for me until I upgraded to Big Sur and now it's almost worthless...so much lag. I might jus downgrade to Catalina. Would be nice to know though if anyone else has seen this issue using IOS footage on Big Sur OS?

Thanks.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,571 Ambassador

(The PC user over here wonders if Apple doesn't give out dev builds of OS's? Seems like every time Apple updates iOS everything breaks.)

• CleverTagline

@Triem23 I'm pretty sure they do pass dev builds around, and I'm pretty sure FXhome has one for Big Sur. I recall something on this topic coming up in a separate discussion (that you and I are part of) last fall.

• zjennings1016

@Triem23 enough to make a guy switch to a PC lol.

@CleverTagline @Triem23 Thank you both for all the tutorials by the way. been super helpful.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,062 Enthusiast

Seems like every time Apple updates iOS everything breaks.

What is amazing is that Apple gets away with not giving enough a **** about backwards compatibility.