Camera zooms in 1 extra frame after keyframe

CasualScrub
CasualScrub Website User Posts: 10 Just Starting Out*
edited January 8 in HitFilm

Hello all,

I'm running into an issue where my camera zooms in 1 extra frame after I place my keyframe, and it's causing the camera to settle in a position that isn't what I want. Here's an example of the problem. I want the camera to cut from the Z position set at the first keyframe to the Z position set at the second keyframe, but right after doing this it decides to zoom in for 1 extra frame, causing the final position to be zoomed in more than what I want. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: gif I tried to use didn't work initially. Trying this gfycat instead

https://gfycat.com/somesnarlingalbatross

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,972 Ambassador

It's NOT the camera, it's something else.

Look at your own GIF. if you look at the position values set, when you toggle past the keyframe the position value set for the camera is not changing. Something else is causing the apparent jump in position, but it's not the camera moving.

Your camera is parented to Layer 2. Layer 2 is parented to Layer 1. You need to look at the keyframes for those layers. One (or more) of them is what's dragging your camera out of position. I'd look at layer 2 first since the camera is moving horizontally and Layer 2 is your "X."

• CasualScrub

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I already had this idea, so I double checked where I placed my keyframes on those 2 point layers. Both of those have a keyframe placed where I want the movement to stop, but nothing after that. I even deleted the two point layers and tried again, and the issue still persisted! I also tested creating an entirely new composite shot with a camera, and the issue still remained any time I tried a large amount of zoom over a short period of frames. I can post more gifs to show what I'm talking about, just let me know if that would help.

• CasualScrub

After working on this issue with a friend of mine, we came to the conclusion that this is a bug present in Hitfilm 16, but not in version 15. I would love to see others try to recreate this bug to verify that it is an issue with the program.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,594 Enthusiast
    edited January 8

I actually ran into this just the other day...one extra frame on a zoom in. I'll go find the project I was working on to verify but I'm pretty sure. Just a note to this: I did notice that the extra frame is not noticeable in the final render (at least fast zoom).

• CasualScrub

Good to see it's not just us! We came to the conclusion that the keyframing just gets extended by one frame any time you keyframe positions with the camera. So the camera settles on the X, Y and Z location you want, but always 1 frame after the keyframe's position (if that makes sense).

• GrayMotion
    edited January 8

In this simple example the "extra" frame seems to only effect the background @Triem23 Only Zoom has keyframe(s) (see example vid)

• CasualScrub

This is quite unfortunate. I have workarounds that I can use, but is there any way to get a Hitfilm project from Hitfilm version 16 on Hitfilm version 15? I think it'd be much easier to edit that way.

• GrayMotion
    edited January 9

Sorry. There is no way to edit a version 16 project in prior versions. Let us let FXHome see what they can do.

Edit: You know Mike said "It's NOT the camera, it's something else." This is true. If it was the camera the model in my example would have been affected but it wasn't. It has to be something besides the camera.... 3D Layer draw space?? (for a lack of a better term)

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,972 Ambassador

I'm in the middle of something else right now. Maybe later I'll see if I can recreate this, but, for now I'll tag in @Ady @AxelWilkinson and @TheBenNorris. (Casual_Scrub, that's a dev, the guy in charge of QA and a tester/manual/support guy, so three FXHOME Staff who might have insight, or, at least need to know about this).

Ady, Axel, Ben, if you look at @Casual_Scrub 's initial post you'll see the issue. My first post merely says I don't think it's the camera, but something else (if you look at casual_scrub's GIF you'll see the position values on the camera aren't changing on the frame after the key, but the rendered output is). @GrayMotion's post with the video link shows that he can recreate the issue, and Greg's post directly above this one has an observation where he also thinks it's not the camera, but something else.

• GrayMotion
    edited January 9

To finalize my little test I elected to KISS.

Test conditions:

PC/MAC

Added:

-Camera

-3D Plane (with grid for reference)

I then preformed the following:

Camera zoom - one additional "move" after last keyframe

Camera Transform X, Y and Z - one additional "move" after last keyframe

@Casual_Scrub I feel your pain when something doesn't go as expected and I'm glad you have a work around. Rest assured that the Devs will figure whats happening and get a fix out as soon as they can. Luck to you.

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,013 Staff

I haven't read the full thread, I thought one of my colleagues had posted here but I was mistaken.

We have identified this as being a bug and are looking at it, thanks for bringing this to our attention.