How to remove black background for animated overlay

theduncster
theduncster Website User Posts: 8 Just Starting Out

Hi, I'm trying to make this animated webcam overlay for my streaming, and I only need to remove the black background. I know how to remove one for a static image using the hue and rgb key, however it appears to be ineffective for the animated one. Also the blend feature appears to not resolve this issue either.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,970 Ambassador

Either place this layer over your other video and set this layer to an ADD or SCREEN blend mode.

Or, try the LUMINANCE KEY and "Key out Black"

Or, try the DEMULT effect.

• theduncster
    theduncster Website User Posts: 8 Just Starting Out

Thank you, while this does work in the editor itself if I were adding it to a video, to kindly clarify, I would actually like to export this transparent animated overlay to add as a source in a separate program (SLOBS). When I export through the methods listed above, it still remains with a black background.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,970 Ambassador

@theduncster ah!

Ok, let me assume you were rendering mp4. Mp4 generally doesn't support alpha channels. To export with Transparency you need to export as Cineform (Windows) or ProRes (Mac) using a render preset with either "with Alpha" or "RGBA" (RGB with Alpha) in the preset description.

• Triem23

NP.

I missed an option - if your streaming software is capable of chroma keying you can render to mp4 over a green background and let the streaming software key it. Your box with the lightning has glows and translucency, so the Cineform/ProRes render is certainly a better choice in this case, but, for a "solid" image - maybe you've rendered a lower third with text and trendy background rectangles - you COULD render mp4 on green.

Advantage of mp4 - smaller file size. Usually not really an issue, but if you're doing video work with 512GB or less total storage space can be an issue.

Disadvantage of mp4 - having the streamer key could give artifacts on edges and translucent/glowing images won't key properly. The Cineform/ProRes with true alpha will be cleaner.

Overall I recommend the Cineform with Alpha option.

Final note: assuming you're in Express you're most likely working in an 8-bit/channel color space. Depending on what add-ons you own, you MIGHT have a 16-bit option.

Anyways, point is the Cineform w/Alpha preset is 12-bit by default. You can turn that down to 10-bit for smaller files. Also, I think the default preset Quality is HIGH. Medium is great quality. 10-bit is enough to just drop in as an Overlay, ESPECIALLY if you only have 8-bit options. The extra bits are wasted space.