H265 support?

WhiteCranePhoto
WhiteCranePhoto Posts: 923 Enthusiast

I just tried to import some clips into HitFilm, and it is having trouble loading them. I pulled them up in Resolve and checked the codec; it's H.265 Main L4.0, 30fps, 1920x1080.

I'm on the latest version of HitFilm Pro.

Any idea why HitFilm might not like these two clips?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,798 Ambassador

You might post a MediaInfo report on them. Does this happen with all H.265 clips or just certain ones?

If you mean you are on HF16, did you get a pop up window saying you need to get the codec from M$? Apparently Microsoft removed the embedded codec from the OS and now you have to buy it for $1. The reason it may work in Resolve may mean it is built into Resolve, but due to licensing costs it is not embedded into HF16 and you must rely on getting it from M$.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,190 Power User

As Stargazer said, Hitfilm pulls from the Microsoft encoder which M$ removed from the OS in 2018 and made a $1 add on from the Microsoft store.

If the imported HEVC file has a yellow triangle next to it, clicking the triangle should open a browser window and take you to the MS store page.

A MediaInfo report might still be helpful, just to verify Hitfilm isn't being odd with the particular file.

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Posts: 923 Enthusiast

Purchasing and installing the $1 codec pack did the trick.

Thanks!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,190 Power User